Can an iPad's GPU die?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by marty1990, Oct 13, 2012.

1. marty1990 macrumors 6502

So I've been using my iPad on and off all day playing around in iDraw designing a logo. Suddenly, the app slowed to, and the zoom in and out feature went eratic, and suddenly the top of the screen started to flicker (including the part that contains the notification bar) . I pressed home, and went back to the app, it was still being strange, so I closed the app down, reopened it and it seems okay now.

Does that sound like an app issue, or a GPU issue? I hope it was just the app, because I really don't fancy having to get it replaced and being given a refurb.

2. dmelgar macrumors 68000

Sounds like the app. Could be iOS. Highly unlikely that its a hardware issue.

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Sounds like the app.

An iPad GPU can die just like any other from nVidia, or ATI. Its far lower power, much less current, so less likely.

4. marty1990 thread starter macrumors 6502

So, the app could have caused the screen to flicker - even part's of the screen that weren't part of the app? I've never had a problem like this before, and it only happened after using iDraw for a while, and even then, it was only when attempting to add text to my logo.

5. Spitroast Panda macrumors member

if it fixed itself then its unlikely to be video card, probably the OS rather than the app, maybe causing conflicts somewhere...

6. marty1990 thread starter macrumors 6502

I think it's the app, I restarted my iPad and tested it again, once I start zooming in/using text in iDraw, it starts to lag and flicker. I restart the app, and it's okay again.

... if it were the OS, how would I fix it?

7. irDigital0l Guest

you could try to restore your device

8. marty1990, Oct 13, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2012

marty1990 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ehhhh, I literally just did a restore last week. Surely I don't need to do another one??

I'll see how it goes, and if there's an update for iDraw soon, it might fix it.

Would reinstalling the app help?

9. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

the ipad uses a SoC. System on a chip. The GPU is part of the CPU chip, so it can't really die separately from the rest.

It sounds like the app + memory management are to blame. The app may be needing more memory, and the ipad has a very limited amount. If it is an iPad3 it has way to little ram for the resolution on graphic intensive apps. So that is probably why it was slowing down/ erratic zooming until you force quit the app.

Edit: The flickering could be caused by actual hardware issues though. Try testing it on another ipad in an apple store or something. If it is doing it to other ipads then it is most likely the app.

10. iEvolution macrumors 65816

It's rare for GPU/CPUs to fail, even more so with system on a chip designs that require no fans to keep it from overheating.

Bug in iOS 6 or buggy app.

11. marty1990 thread starter macrumors 6502

So my iPad hasn't done any of the flickering thing again, since I haven't been using the app since yesterday. And I realised that when it did flicker, it wasn't including the notification bar at the top of the screen, all the flickering was within the app only - so does that sound like it's the app?

I've reinstalled it either way, so will just have to see if it does the whole flickering/lagging thing again.