Can an iPhone be used as SatNav on a VW's touchscreen ?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Bug-Creator, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Been thinking about buying a new car, but the navigation option for the builtin stereo is a whooping 505Euro, far to much for 3.6 times I'm gonna need it in 1 year :eek:

There is no CarPlay option on these so here are what are my options:

a)
    "USB connector also for iPod/iPhone", this would come free with build in stereo and some googling suggests that it would indeed allow the phone to be used via the VW touchscreen, with the travel directions coming out of the iPhone's speakers.

b) "Mirrorlink" at 170Euro extra. Even more googling suggests that is pretty much CarPlay for Android phones, but also that some iOS apps like GoogleMaps would also support thi.

Since "suggests" ain't good enough, and I don't know what options will be in the car I'll be given next week for a test drive I'm now asking if anybody has any 1st hand experience with such a setup.

2. Jaguarr40 macrumors regular

Jaguarr40

The model of VW you have should tell you in the owners manual just like my 2014 Honda Accord has an audio / Nav book thicker than the owners manual...lol and it is fully IOS compatible and tells you what you can do with it. Is is great and yours should tell you what it is compatible with.