Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
A co-worker approached me this morning with his iPhone 4. He detailed to me how he attempted to update from 4.1 to the current firmware.

He decided to do so by restoring his phone as new via iTunes. Realizing his phone was stuck a little over half way through the restore he unplugged it. He then did a force quit on his Mac to close iTunes.

Finally after going round and round with his iPhone he googled his problem and began to methodically attempt various methods, including placing his phone in DFU mode, gave up.

As a last resort he downloaded iTunes on his wife's HP Windows computer, plugged in his iPhone and tried to restore again. Surprisingly this time it took and his iPhone restored and updated.

He then loaded it back on his Mac and iTunes recognized it and allowed him to place his apps and music back on his device.
He told me it is running smoothly but his concern is he may have weakened his iPhone due to three hours of jacking it around (his words).

I quickly reassured him I believe his phone is fine but later got kind of thinking about it and now I'm scone guessing my opinion.

What say you? Is his iPhone even slightly now impaired?

Reefbone

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
I'm impared by trying to follow that story. If it works it works. Can't imagine what "jacked" means either.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
No. It's just software updates. Now that he has a clean install, there shouldn't be anything of concern for him. I've had to restore my phone numerous times and my phone hasn't been compromised in anyway that I can see. He should be fine.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Yeah, I'm sure your right. It's not like starting a car that is already running (I hate that sound!).

Wasn't sure though. . .

braddick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
:p

You have to give it to him for "scone guessing."
I know... I know. . . I'm typing this on an original iPhone as my iP4 is in the shop... can't edit that far down on the page when edit is opened, it won't let me scroll to get there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.