Can an iPhone charger keep a iPad from running down?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by class77, May 31, 2012.

1. class77 macrumors 6502a

class77

I know I can't charge the iPad with the iPhone charger, but will the iPhone charger keep the iPad from depleting it's charge?

2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Yes, you can charge the ipad with the iphone charger. I do it all the time.

3. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

The iPad 3rd generation will still lose charge during use while charging simultaneously.

4. noteple macrumors 65816

The iPad can consume more battery power than an iPhone changer can restore.

5. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Turn off iPad (both buttons 5 seconds), then will charge, but take a long time.

6. jogales macrumors member

That's a hard restart, it doesn't turn off the iPad.

If you have the brightness set way up or you're playing a 3d game, the battery on the 3rd gen iPad will still slowly discharge. It's better than nothing though.

7. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Hard restart is 10 seconds.

3~5 seconds get "slide to power off"

8. RobesNo1 macrumors regular

lol no. Hold Power button alone 3-5 seconds get slide to power off. Do you actually own an iPad? :) or an iPhone for that matter.

9. gr8whtd0pe macrumors 6502a

gr8whtd0pe

He is right.

Also my ipad3 was hooked up all day Monday streaming music with the screen on and a iPhone charger. Never lost any charge.

10. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It depends on what the iPad is doing. Some activities (playing a game, displaying a movie) will take more power than others (sleeping, streaming audio with the screen off).

11. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

LOL, your right. Don't need to hold both. Learned something. (don't know how I learned you to use both).

Least you DO get shutdown message holding both, BEFORE it does a hard reset, so it will also work.

12. ecib macrumors regular

ecib

You can charge the newest iPad with the iPhone's charger, but it will be much slower. And while this will obviously keep it from depleting its charge, if you use the iPad while you do this it will still continue to run down.

So, yes, the iPhone charger will keep the charge from depleting and recharge it very slowly, unless it is in use, where it will merely slow the rate of charge loss.

13. Husky1992 macrumors regular

Husky1992

It depends on the use as well. My iPad does not drain if connected to the iPod charger(the 29€ optional) as long as I'm surfing the web, I think if I'd played a game or a video it will continue to drain

14. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

I haven't had any problems with my iPad charging while using it, but I imagine it depends on what you are doing at the time.

15. mcsenerd macrumors regular

For that matter...I can get the 3rd Gen iPad going so hard that it drains a bit even with the iPad charger. I'd say using an iPhone charger with the new iPad would be quite the losing proposition.

16. Abarth1200 macrumors regular

THE worst thing you can do to these battery packs is have them plugged in and have them in use at the same time, discharging and charging at the same time equals double the heat which is a big problem for the battery pack, depending on use, a quick browse through emails and maybe a website is OK, i certainly wouldnt go playing a game of Texas Poker or Infinity Blade.

Charge up, unplug and use, if your desperate plug it in and leave it for 10 mins, you will get a fair chunk of charge restored in this time

17. Dkorda macrumors 6502