iPhone 7(+) Can an iPhone handle more than 1 bluetooth device at any given time?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dj1891, Jul 11, 2019.

1. dj1891 macrumors 6502

dj1891

So I bought a pair of Sony Bluetooth headphones yesterday to use with my Fitbit Versa and iPhone 7.

Started my music playing on hone went into fitbit and selected run, it sat connecting, The Fitbit versa uses connected GPS so connects to the phone via bluetooth to use the phones gps. I found this "Connecting" odd, opened the Fitbit app and it connected, started my run, checked the Fitbit after a couple of mins to make sure all working, "Connecting" again. I paused the run tried to connect again but no go stopped exercise synced app still wouldn't connect.

So when I got home disconnected headphones and tried to connect versa connected straight away.

I don't know what is having an issue but it seems only 1 Bluetooth device can run at one time.

2. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

I regularly have my Apple Watch & Bose headphones connected.

3. dj1891 thread starter macrumors 6502

dj1891

Can only assume then its an issue with the fitbit or headphones

4. bransoj macrumors 6502a

I've got a fitbit charge 2 and 99% certain i've used it connected to bluetooth headphones and tracked something using the connected GPS without any issues. I have had issues in the past with just the fitbit generally deciding not to connect for which i've had to remove and reconnect to my phone.

5. dj1891 thread starter macrumors 6502

dj1891

I can only blame these headphones then hogging the bluetooth, as soon as I turn them off fitbit connects instantly.

6. bransoj macrumors 6502a

If i get a chance i will try to test it with my bluetooth headphones later on.

7. now i see it macrumors 68040

The iPhone can keep at least 2 Bluetooth connections active. I use it that way all the time. But if the app times out in the background, the connection will be lost.

8. The_Interloper macrumors regular

The_Interloper

Go into the FitBit app, tap on the Versa icon in the top-right, scroll-down and check "Always Connected". This stops the connection going to sleep. Also, make sure you have the Versa (Classic) profile enabled and paired. This is used for music controls mainly but seems to offer a "fallback" connection when the regular one fails.

9. bransoj macrumors 6502a

Remembered i'd got my headphones with me so just tested and it was fine. Connected my headphones first and then started tracking an activity from my Fitbit Charge 2. It said to check the app initially but this is probably because it was the first time i'd opened it since the app updated in the last few days but without me doing anything the Fitbit connected and started tracking including having the icon for it being connected to my phone in the top corner.

This is on iOS13 by the way but as mentioned i've no reason to think it didnt work before.

10. dj1891 thread starter macrumors 6502

dj1891

11. dj1891 thread starter macrumors 6502

dj1891

12. DeanLubaki macrumors 6502a

DeanLubaki

13. jimmirehman macrumors 6502

car, LG headset, apple Watch all connected, works fine.

14. MisterSavage macrumors 6502a

MisterSavage

Same with my Apple Watch and my car's Bluetooth connected to my iPhone.

15. Tsepz macrumors 68030

Tsepz

That’s is more focused to Dual Audio.

I think most people replying here are on iPhone 8, X or XS models.

I see the iPhone 7 has Bluetooth 4.2, and I cannot remember if this did allow dual connection or not.