Can an IpoD touch pull from a portable HD

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by JoeMcE, Sep 24, 2008.

1. JoeMcE macrumors newbie

I am a newby when it comes to the Ipod Touch. My wife just bought me one for my 45th Bday...My question is I have an Ipod Touch 8gig I also have an 80gig Western Digital portable drive that I tote back and forth between work and home...Is there an app/cable combo that will let me pull files FROM my portable Hard drive to be viewed on my IPod Touch? I love my Ipod for all the apps and for reference so it would be great to pull word, PDF, and even music files from an outside source
    Any idea???

2. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

Nope sorry,

This is something I too wish for but it's a no go at the moment.

3. JoeMcE thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Dammit I thought it was to good to be true..:)

4. savar macrumors 68000

savar

It will never happen. The hard drive and ipod are both examples of USB slaves. Your computer is a USB master. Each USB network has to have at least one master. Slaves can't talk to each other directly.

The only way it could work is if somebody developed a small device which could act as a USB master and be the go-between for an ipod and HD. Cool idea, but I haven't heard of anybody even preparing for something like that.

5. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

You can use an app such as Air Sharing (search for it on the App Store) to move files from your HD to your Touch. You'll have to attach the HD to a computer (not to the Touch) then you can browse the Touch from your computer and move files back and forth. Once the files are on the Touch they're also viewable as long as they're one of the file types the Touch can handle (PDF, JPG, Word, Excel, iWork, MP4, etc.).

6. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

Well Apple did make the iPod to Camera Adapter. I always wished they had make more uses for the usb port, but they seemed to decided even the photo adapter was a bad idea.