Can an unlocked iPhone be updated

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by adibear, Sep 7, 2011.

1. adibear macrumors newbie

Hi,

So I have an unlocked 3GS that hasn't been updated for about a year that I plan on taking with me when I study abroad in London for a year under the O2 carrier. Now that it's unlocked, will I be able to plug it into my computer and link it to my itunes like I would a normal iPhone? Can I update it's software to the new ios5 and use and download apps from the app store? Will I be able to treat it like a normal iPhone or now? I guess what I'm asking is what I can and can't do with it now that it's unlocked...

2. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

If your phone is software unlocked then you can certainly plug into Itunes and sync data normally. However, you cannot update the firmware normally as this will also update your baseband. You will lose both the jailbreak and unlock.

You should either leave the phone as is or use custom firmware created with pwnage tool to update. This will create a JB version of the firmware but not touch the baseband.

3. adibear thread starter macrumors newbie

If I sync it in itunes, will I be able to download anything from the app store like normal?

4. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Yes you will be able to download apps normally. You only have to avoid those messages that invite you to update because there is a new version of firmware.
    Just say no.