Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
Right now, my scratch disk is on a raid (two 1tb WD drives) in my Mac Pro, which includes photoshop, FCS, and Aperture files.

I would like my work partner's MBP to be able to access the same files without having to share on bluetooth or wirelessly. Is there a way he can plug in a firewire 800/cat 5e cable into my Mac Pro to access the raid drives?

Thank you for any input!

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
Sharing isn't an issue of the medium that you use. You simply set the drives you want to share up in your systems preferences. If you have a firewire connection between the two Mac you can again use preferences to tell the MBP to use the firewire instead of a slower wireless. Use the network setup in preferences.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Sharing isn't an issue of the medium that you use. You simply set the drives you want to share up in your systems preferences. If you have a firewire connection between the two Mac you can again use preferences to tell the MBP to use the firewire instead of a slower wireless. Use the network setup in preferences.

Even easier, use gigabit ethernet. Faster than FW/800 as well, and cheaper.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Thanks for the suggestion, so should we just connect a gigabit Ethernet cable from my MP to his MBP? And enable the drive sharing capabilities in network preferences?

Depends... Is the Mac Pro already on the internet?

If you already have a network, make sure your switch is gigabit, and just get both the machines on the network. No need to directly connect.

I'm assuming the Mac Pro is already connected to the internet somehow, most likely on an ethernet network.

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
Depends... Is the Mac Pro already on the internet?

If you already have a network, make sure your switch is gigabit, and just get both the machines on the network. No need to directly connect.

I'm assuming the Mac Pro is already connected to the internet somehow, most likely on an ethernet network.

I appreciate your help goMac!

The Mac Pro, and the Macbook Pro are both connected to a Time Capsule.

The Mac Pro is connected to TC via cat 5e capable (wireless capable), and the MBP is wirelessly connected to the TC.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
I appreciate your help goMac!

The Mac Pro, and the Macbook Pro are both connected to a Time Capsule.

The Mac Pro is connected to TC via cat 5e capable (wireless capable), and the MBP is wirelessly connected to the TC.

Then just plug in the Macbook Pro with ethernet to the time capsule, make sure sharing is enabled on the Mac Pro, and you're done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.