Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
I have a pretty beefy battery pack and wasn't sure if any would work with it. using a usb-c to usb-a adapter also since mine is only usba
Also when was the sleep light on MacBooks stopped? the new one doesn't have one did the older 2015 models?

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Using a USB-A to USB-C cable with one of the existing crop of battery packs will result in a SLOW charge. If it even charges, it'll likely take overnight at the 5v/1.4A charge rate it would give you. I was reading in another post that the new MBP charges at 20v at 5A, or thereabouts, even the existing crop of packs with USB-C outputs can't charge at that rate.

carperjosh

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2016
What about a battery charger with a cigarette lighter with the USB-c then your looking at 12v

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
What about a battery charger with a cigarette lighter with the USB-c then your looking at 12v

No you aren't. Those adapters drop it to 5v for the output. At least, most or all of the ones currently on the market do since they're intended for phones that charge at 5v.

Reactions: Brookzy

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2014
when idle, or just simply reading webpage/pdf, the 13' touch bar consumes ~5-8w of power.

typical battery packs NOT specially designed for usb-c has an output of ~10-12w, so it will change, just painfully slow. and the MacBook looses battery power whenever it encounters any demands (such as loading webpage, launching apps, editing... etc)

some battery pack designed for usb-c (I mostly see just chargers, not battery packs) may charge at up to 29-30w, so they will charge your MacBook, just much slower than the original charger.

that's all for 13 inch, 15 inch consumes a lot more power so...

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
i mean i don't really care if it charges. I would like to hold it steady at least while out of the house. Doesn't necessarily need to charge it i guess

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
i mean i don't really care if it charges. I would like to hold it steady at least while out of the house. Doesn't necessarily need to charge it i guess

But outputting only 5v, it may not even be recognized properly for providing power to charge or run the computer without drawing the internal battery down.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
But outputting only 5v, it may not even be recognized properly for providing power to charge or run the computer without drawing the internal battery down.
something I'm not sure about or even want to try. i don't want to mess up anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.