Can any new PC be turned into a Hackintosh?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by papa deuce, Oct 22, 2009.

1. papa deuce macrumors member

My buddy saw an article on the net that I showed him about a guy building a "Hackintosh" with all new parts bought from newegg. The article seemed to say that you really should use the same parts as the author did to ensure Snow Leopard compatibility.

My buddy has built MANY a pc. He seems to think that using the directions and software discussed in the article I showed him, that we could pretty much turn ANY home built PC into a Hackintosh with higher performance and less cost.

I'm not here to discuss the legitimacy of his claim, but I would like to know about the hardware / software part?

Can basically any PC be turned into a Hackintosh?

http://lifehacker.com/5360150/install-snow-leopard-on-your-hackintosh-pc-no-hacking-required

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

3. almac68 macrumors member

almac68

This is great news. I have even downloaded the trial version of Rebel EFI to try out sometimes. This would mean you can actually use a legal OSX install disk to install on any hackintosh. None of those hacked version which is very choosy in terms of hardware.

Although this is good, how about the issue with drivers? Do you still need to get the supported hardware with drivers like wifi, graphic and sound? If this is still the case then basically this defeat the purpose of 'installing it on any systems'.

4. papa deuce thread starter macrumors member