Can any one please help me with my Time Capsual

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kolakube, Jun 5, 2014.

1. kolakube macrumors newbie

Hi,

Im hoping someone way more knowledgeable than me can help here.

I have an apple time capsule that I only use for backing up my mac. I don’t care less about a wi fi network or whatever. I simply plug a cable from my mac to the time capsule and hit back up now every week.

Its worked this way quite happily for years until recently it decided not too.

I have tried resetting it and such but not sure what all the info I have to enter needs to be.

Can anyone help me? Sorry if this is lite on the info you need to do this but I wouldn’t have a clue what I needed to tell you. Please ask away thought and ill do my best.

Many thanks to anyone who reads this.

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Try going to Time Machine preferences and repointing it to your Time Capsule...

Does the backup disk not show at all?

3. eduardrw, Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014

eduardrw macrumors 6502

Just as a side: you would be much better of (and cheaper+easier) using a external USB disk for Time Machine.
    The way you are using your TC is asking for trouble - lucky you it worked in the past.

Since you have a TC you should check in System Preferences/Time machine if it sees your TC disk. If so make sure its selected and then start backing up.

If you don't see it (you mentioned you reset the TC - makes this scenario likely) you want to download Airport Utility from the App store (free).
    Then open Airport Utility/disks and setup the TC disk for sharing. Once done it should show up in finder and System Preferences/Time machine.

One more thing:
    Your TC and your Mac need to be on the same Subnet.
    If your MAC is connected to the internet via WIFI and you use an ethernet cable to connect your Mac to the TC it needs to be setup to receive an IP number on the same subnet.
    If your MAC is connected via the ethernet cable and you just unplug it and plug it in the TC - you are creating a problem!

Best way of using the TC would br keeping it connected to one of the router ports of your internet router. Then set it up with Airport utility.

4. kolakube thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Sorry for late replies, as a self confessed techno phobe I'm not always on the net.

@ eduardrw:- Yes, I would love to bin this Time capsule thing. I have a 1TB external HD that hardly gets used anyhow.

Ill try and set that up. I had honestly never thought of that. TY