Can any other company match the macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by whitedragon101, Jun 18, 2012.

1. whitedragon101 macrumors 6502a

Occasionally Apple does something that makes us question whether to look elsewhere for a laptop. However, every now and then when I look there don't seem to be any competitors. No-one else seems to build a laptop with the same goals as apple. They all seem to be built on a make it as cheap as possible basis. Even so called high end options forgo a good screen or track-pad or size etc. No-one else seems to follow the make it awesome and hope they buy it philosophy.

The only alternative seems to be the HP envy, but even that is a kind of make do alternative to a Macbook Pro.

Is anyone going to really bring competition to apple on its own turf and make something that is a true alternative to the Macbook Pro?

2. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

They don't have to. Other companies make cheaper laptops, and sell a lot more of them. It's a different business strategy.

3. whitedragon101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes I know the business thinking behind the other strategies. I am just putting the question out there whether anyone will go toe to toe on Apples chosen field.

In cars there are many makers of sports cars, luxury cars, family cars etc. Each market section has several competitors. With laptops there are gaming, business, family, cheap, etc But only apple in the luxury market.

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

How would we know? Your guess is as good as ours. There are obviously those willing to mimic styling cues in hopes of tailcoating.

5. undies1993 macrumors 6502a

Someone should, it would help the advancement of technology. But I don't see it happening, because those people are happy selling many cheap units to make lots of money instead of selling few expensive units.

6. whitedragon101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just thought it might be a fun conversation and possibly people may have heard about company X or Y developing a new product.

It is kind of strange to have a market so dominated by a brand that no one even dares compete.

7. derickdub macrumors 6502

The problem to me is Apple has been making the MBP for so many years now, and basically has it down. In order for another company to make a laptop similar to the MBP, they would have to charge a lot more because they won't be able to build for as cheap. And if so many people already think Apple's products are expensive, then said company won't go anywhere with their new design. Most PC manufactures also don't have the cash pile Apple has for that kind of R&D.

The only way IMO, is for someone to make something better than the MBP that would direct Apple's customers to it.

8. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

There are other "luxury" laptops available that are somewhat similar, like the Sony Z. It's in no way trying to be a Macbook, but it's powerful, really thin, and really light. It's a 13" laptop with an Ivy Bridge quad-core i7, 2.5lb carbon fiber case, 1920x1080 screen, and up to 14hrs of battery with the "sheet battery" addition. IMHO, I'd take it over a 13" MBP (although losing OSX might be too hard ;))

9. djmoody macrumors regular

The sony vaio z probably competes with the rmbp, the screen has a lot more of the color gambit though only 1080p, a 13 inch 2.5 lb carbon fiber. And the fingerprint tech is sweet, allowed me to swipe different fingers to automatically open and log into various accounts. It's designed for high-end business users though... and I felt weird installing ubuntu on a partition, so I ended up taking it back.

10. pragmatous macrumors 65816

11. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

The problem with comparing the Macbook Pro to other machines is there this is no point-for-point match for the MBP.
    There are many similar products out there, but most of them are better than the MBP in some departments, and worse in others.

There just isn't a direct comparison. That's why I always have a good chuckle when someone is trying to argue that a MBP is better than some other laptop.
    The argument usually goes something like:

"Oh ya, well show my another computer with (exact specs of MBP, including measurements down to the millimetre)"

12. truciet macrumors 6502

New Dell XPS is pretty dam close. More info tomorrow supposedly.