Can anybody explain how this was a hardware problem?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrat93, Mar 18, 2008.

1. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

I was having this problem with Mail, where it would just crash the second it was opened. I restored several times to re-downloaded firmware images (in case the one I had before was corrupted,) and still no luck. I got the phone replaced over the weekend, and now everything works fine. Does anybody know what the problem could have been?

2. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

When you downloaded the firmware did you use the iPhone without restoring your backup user data? If you used a perfectly clean iPhone firmware, then I can't help you. If you were restoring user data from a backup after a firmware refresh then...

I had the same issue. I re-downloaded firmware and everything else you tried. But each time I had iTunes load my old user data. Finally, I just said forget it and did a sync/load from scratch without restoring my user data. Everything worked fine. After it worked, I tried restoring that backup/restore point - immediate crashes in mail again. That backup point was no good.

It seemed like a corruption in my user data/settings. And I still have no idea what it was... Other than my data restore point.