Can anyone change my mind about keeping my mac pro!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jjahshik32, Mar 17, 2008.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Ok, I'm in a huge dilemma and currently I'm selling my mac pro on ebay and thinking that I can just use my mbp + 23" ACD for all my needs. I can do everything I usually do on this setup just ok but the mac pro gets it done freakin fast! On the plus side the nvidia 8800gt card I just order is on prepared for shipment status!

Also how long do you guys think it will ship from the day it saids prepared for shipment and they charged my credit card too and its just a nvidia card (I doubt it'll be shipped from china).

What I keep thinking about is that by end of this year or beginning of next year that Nehalem will be released and I keep thinking to myself sell the mac pro get the full $$ back today and maybe get yourself a Nehalem or a quad core laptop instead by then and my other part keeps telling me who cares its the fastest ***** right now and it'll still be fast as ***** next year anyway or for years to come.

Anyways could you guys give me some reasons why I should keep the mac pro as my main machine!

2. junior77 macrumors regular

Well, this begs the question...why did you buy it if you didn't need it in the first place?? If the MBP serves all your current needs then why do you need a work station?

There will ALWAYS be something better next year....ALWAYS. So, when this nehalm hits, there will be a new version right around the corner. So buy what you need, when you need it.

Maybe you should look into leasing from Apple, if you need to have the latest/greatest hardware.

To answer your question, you need to determine how much of a loss you will take selling it 2nd hand and if that is ok with you. And only you can make that decision...since you will have to live with it.

3. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Keep it. You are in the same cycle I was it. It's bad. Macs are like drugs. I find myself selling my computers to get the next best one. You'll never be happy. With all the eBay and Paypal fees, you end up losing money in the long run. And what a hastle it is to keep turning over machines. What ever you buy, it's always going to be old hat in 6 months. You have to make your purchase, and be happy with it.

I'd sell the MBP if you needed cash. At least with the Mac Pro, you can add memory and bigger hard drives as you need it/demand it.

What I did is this: I sold MBP and got a MacBook and a 30" cinema display. I sold all my other junk and got a Mac Pro. Now I have the best of both worlds. I have an insane workstation that can do it all, and can be upgraded with more RAM and HDDs as I need them. And I have an awesome, very capable laptop for on the go.

I'm keeping both of these machines until they up and die. I'm finished with hocking my stuff every 6 months to be able to afford the hottest new machine.

But that's just my story.

4. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Thanks thats exactly what I needed to hear. :D

As for the price I'm selling the mac pro for, with the paypal fees, ebay fees and shipping fee I would end up maybe $50 short if it does sell for the price that I put it up as and I think it will sell.

But I'm leaning closer to keeping it now because I have a feeling that after the mac pro is gone the mbp wont cut it in the long run.:)

5. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

yea~ screw it I'm keeping it :D even if whatever better comes around I'll still make real good use of this machine for years to come.

6. mcvaughan macrumors 6502a

Especially since you have it nicely configured. Keep it.

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If you ever decide to change your mind, I'll pay shipping.

Seriously, keep that beauty of a beast.

8. Akula971 macrumors regular

Akula971

I buy good quality cars and computers, keep em both for years and years. I only upgrade when it won't do what I want it to do. So I guess that I'll be keeping my MacPro for some time to come.

9. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

Steve Jobs sacrifices a little fluffy kitten every time someone
    gives up their Mac Pro. Don't do it. Save the kitten!

Seriously, unless you need the money badly, it would be insanity
    itself to give up the greatest Mac ever made.

10. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Couldnt have put it better myself! :D

11. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

OK, I can probably answer your question the best. I was in the EXACT situation...I had a Mac Pro that was great, I loved it dearly...then I decided it was overkill for me, and I sold it on eBay and went out to the store and bought a Santa Rosa MacBook Pro. I love this MacBook Pro, it's great too, yes...

BUT --- maaan. The 2.4GHz MacBook Pro (even with maxed 4GB of RAM) is waaayyy slower than that Quad 2.66GHz Mac Pro was. I see you have a new 2.8 with 16GB of RAM. All I can tell you, is you will regret it majorly. The zippiness and power, in all tasks of the Mac Pro cannot be met by ANY current laptop on the Mac lineup. At all.

So...I now have a Refurb 3.0GHz Quad Pro on order, already shipped (I am waiting on it now). My two 500GB HDs and my 16GB of RAM came today, and I am ready to soup this puppy up once I get it and have my *MACPRO* PowerMachine™ back!!!! Also, I have a new 30" Cinema Display that I have been using with my low-power MacBook Pro.

All I can say is....you won't see power like you can ever get with a Mac Pro on any Mac Laptop. Period. Just doesn't cut it.

So, after all is said and done, I will finally have a nicely equipped Mac Pro and a MacBook Pro, and all peace will be restored to the universe. Ah.

12. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

13. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Thanks guys! Yea I'm going to keep it and it is that much faster than the mbp! =D I cant wait for the nividia 8800gt card tomarrow!!:D

14. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah, glad to hear that you decided to keep it. you won't regret it.

my 1st gen mac pro is coming up on 1.5 years old, and it's still serving me greatly. i can't complain ;)

15. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

I know its insane if you actually think about how most apps arnt written to utilize more than 2 cores and imagine all the mac pros being able to utilize all the cores in future apps!! :D Man their overkill and its great!

16. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Yeah, I am really glad you are keeping your Mac Pro. THe config you have (that I see in your signature) looks like you really have a fast decked out machine, the 8800 will only be icing on the cake.

The MacBook Pro with a 23" display is a good config to use for basic stuff like internet access, but for multitasking and major project work, it lags like a bitch. The Mac Pro can handle just about anything you throw at it, smooth and fast, and much more.

I am definitely going to hang on to this Mac Pro on order, once I get it...I have been waiting pensively to have another supercomputer back at my fingertips. I'll hang on to it...at least until the 5GHz 12-core Mac Pros come around... :)

17. Soop53 macrumors regular

Soop53

One little thing to add...when Nehalem comes out there will be something rumored to be even better on the horizon!!!

18. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603