Can anyone confirm this......?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by arrows91, Sep 23, 2007.

1. arrows91 macrumors newbie

im looking to buy a touch in NY in the next two weeks when im on holiday, the reason for this is that its cheaper then buying it in the UK. A few things i have heard n a bit worried about, can anyone cofirm this.

Will the US ipod work in the UK properly? (with wifi).

I read somewhere that with safari you dont need a log on to connect to wi fi, where ever you are, it seems to bypass that.(can anyone confirm this??) im the UK every connection is pretty much locked down, so its pretty hard to connect to connections.

2. milszils macrumors member

i am interested ion this as well as £70 is a big saving but not worth it if it doesnt work.

3. pederg macrumors member

WiFi is a universal thing and is the exact same in all countries.. no worries there.. if the wifi is locked, you will need a password.. same in america and England, the only exception is some starbucks in america, but only for the wifi store...

Peder

4. arrows91 thread starter macrumors newbie

so if im understanding this right, you could only use the wifi on the touch if you are at home(or where you know the password maybe at work), where surely you would use your PC/Mac. Seems a bit pointless to me, after reading that safari bypasses the passwords.

I dont know how many people lock there net in the states but its pretty standard in the UK to have it locked up with passwords these days.

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

That was just the way Steve Jobs "hyped it up" — it doesn't bypass passwords at all. It doesn't suddenly make it easier to get wifi connected. It just offers you a login box — id & password… nothing magical. :rolleyes:

You can use it wherever you have access to a wifi network. At home, in the street, having a coffee etc…

6. drnycallstar19 macrumors member

the ipod touch doesn't bypass passwords I don't know where you read that. wifi is universal it's just that some places you need a password and some places you don't.

7. drnycallstar19 macrumors member

I agree he did hype this up. like you said "nothing magical". I saw the keynote on the apple website and when he was taling about that I was just thinking "big deal what's so special about that".

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

In the US, it's illegal to use other people's WiFi networks without permission, anyway... isn't it also illegal in the UK? :confused:

In the US, there are typically freely accessible WiFi networks in places like public libraries (either open access or using a password that you're given for free). Universities also have WiFi networks for which students have access by virtue of being students. You have to log into these, but you can do that on an iPod Touch. If you pay for the hotspot service that T-Mobile provides to Starbucks, you should also be able to access that from the iPod Touch.

In other words, it's exactly the same as every other device that uses WiFi... :confused: I don't understand why it's suddenly esoteric rocket science in the case of the iPod.

9. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

It was the way Steve Jobs spun it during the keynote… I remember thinking "Wow, this must be special"… and then being "disappointed" when I understood it only meant a password login … Sometimes he really must think people are idiots. :p

10. DaShox macrumors newbie

In the U.S., there are plenty of locations that offer free WIFI.