Can anyone critique my resume please?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by neil45, May 14, 2008.

1. neil45 macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm 19 years old and go to a university here in Canada. I'm on summer break right now, and I am desperate need of a job. I am thinking of applying to a department type job (like Walmart), and grocery stores. I have to be honest; I've never really been great at making resumes. So, if there is anyone out there who will be willing to critique my resume, I would be much appreciated. Please be brutally honest. In other words, if my resume sucks, say it sucks.

Also, I did not provide my address, and telephone number. I've also edited my name and my references' name for privacy purposes.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

well if you are going for walmart department story, grocery store jobs ect... the resume is not really worth it since they are going to have you fill out there applications and that is about it.

I would move you education up to the top since in the long term that is where you are going to want it for you job after college.

Best I can tell you is it looks rough but a good start. I would find a good formate from some one else and copy it.

3. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

Wow. I must say, your resume is very clean and organized for your skill level and age. Good amount of white space, which is a good balance between filled and not cluttered. Just make sure those table frames are not printed. :) I'd use it for wal-mart or retail/labour positions at your age, but definitely needs a lot more stuff if this is for, say, a grad position.

His resume is not rough at all, considering the stuff he's putting in it. Once you have to classify and organize professional skills (certification this, accreditation that, etc), then it gets very complicated. That's when you need a more complicated resume. If he tries to complicate things too much with something like 'General Labourer', it'll look silly.

4. neil45 thread starter macrumors newbie

Really? I went into Wal-Mart today, and they said I should bring in a resume. Perhaps different procedure here in Canada I guess?

Thanks. :)

How's my "Objective" section? That's the section that I had the most trouble with.

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

oh I not going to disagree it is a good start just it is still rough resume and just has not had time to build. I want to say it looks like an office Template (a no no) the trick is making your self stand out.
    Some things on there are confusing. the GPA being one example since it does not follow the standard 4.00 grading formate.

I have attached the one I used during my last semester in college with of course some info removed. Mind you it does have more stuff on it but I had a few more years to build it up. BTW do not bother critique my resume since I no real intention of using it for at least a few years and more than likely would start over when I do. But it is one I used while in college and was told was a good formate and was fairly good.

Feel free to copy the formate I used just put in your info where it needs to be. Adjust the font size to cover your needs since over the last 4 semesters I had been shrinking my font size to allow for more stuff to fit on the page.

Attached Files:

6. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

I've always hated that section. And at your age, and target job, we all know you're looking for a quick job to make some dough. The objective area is typically for more complex positions where personal motivation and goals factors greatly into finding a good candidate. You can spin it however you want, but try to minimize the cheese. Yours is not bad; clear, concise, and straight-forward.

It's always nice to also include your resume. Shows that you're organized and care enough to put the effort into keeping a decent resume.

7. neil45 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the template. Yeah, I have to admit; I did copy from the office template. I was desperate; I didn't know what else to do. Your format looks good though. I am going to try that one out.

Also, does a resume have to be 1 page? I'm afraid if I add in my "References" section to your template, it will come out to two pages long.

I will post up my modified resume tomorrow that follows your format. Right now, I'm sleepy. Good night.

8. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

1 page is good to start with.

Professional level typically go to 2 pages. Maybe 3 if it's a highly technical job. 4 is too much info and nobody's gonna wanna read it.

9. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

1 page for a resume. 2 pages for a CV.

10. Coprolite macrumors member

I am job hunting, too.

I didn't check the resumes, but when looking for a WalMart style job, I would assume that good grammar and such would be more important.

In general, you should avoid too small font sizes. 12 point should be a rough minimum. If you need references for a job, you will be asked. There is no need to list them on your resume. Sometimes, you have a lot of space on a University resume, as you have no real professional experience. In this case, listing references could be ok, especially if the people are leaders in your target industry...

I finished school in '97 and I can still make my resume fit a single page. It just takes some thinking to distill a few years of your life into just a few lines each.

Good luck with your search.

11. Phillyzero macrumors regular

Phillyzero

If you're not looking for a government job, than this is enough.

However, be more specific, your "objective" is far too general, be specific to the position you are applying for. Also, add a cover letter.

12. neil45 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, so I have attached the modified resume following Rodimus Prime's example. I took out the "References" section and added in the "Qualifications" and "Extracurricular" sections. I've also changed the "Objective" just slightly to make it sound more specific towards the position I'm applying for. How does it look now? Much better or worse than my original resume?

Attached Files:

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

personally I think it looks better.

Some advise for the future is do have you college career center look at it and try to updated it at LEAST once a semester and even better would be 2 times a semester. It saves a lot of trouble when it at least recent to the past 3 months. This is imporant the closer you get to be done with you degree because you will be surpised at how often you will want to have a copy of it on you. The last semster of college I had at least 3 copies of my resume on me when ever I was on campus and on top of that I had some more in my car at all times. Reason for it is I learned my lesson after having to run back home to print off a copy. Mind you I was in heavy search mode so I was taking any chance I had.

The updating part also made life a lot easier at job fair time since at most I only had to do minor touch ups. My update cycle was at the end of every semester I updated it and then shortly before every job fair I would touch it up. I knew who where having to do a lot of work at job fair time every year.

14. c073186 macrumors 6502a

I like the resume templates on Pages... this is my favorite one.

Regarding your resume: I think it is good. Here are some suggestions. Remember that these are just my personal thoughts and that you need to do whatever you think suits yourself the best. I am not saying these are absolutely right or that your way is wrong.

- Unless whatever scale GPA you have is standard where you are, explain a little bit. Write 8.07 on a xxx scale. Like for me, 3.73 out of 4.00 or something like that. Because for me I have never seen a GPA of 8.07. But again, if it's normal from where you come from then ignore this comment.

- I do not think it is really necessary to include completed coursework unless there are specific classes that contribute to your ability to perform the job function of where you are applying. And since it looks like several of those classes are generals, then I would leave them off.

- Take out the periods (.) after each line item in your bulleted lists. Those are not sentences and do not need ending punctuation.

- Community service I think belongs in 'Extracurricular Activities' and not in 'Work Experience'

- Do not have a hanging indent on your objective statement. Indent the entire paragraph to .5".

- Take out your Dean's List award under education and create an Awards section

Edit: How about this for your objective: "To obtain a stocking position in a challenging environment, contributing a motivated and diligent work ethic." Just reworded a bit, because yours isn't really a complete sentence. Sorry if I seem harsh, I think your resume is good I am just trying to offer suggestions where I see they might help.

Attached Files:

15. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

Very good start.
    Try to find out what jobs are available and put that responsibility into your objective. Always tailor your objectives to the place you are applying.
    If you're working with clients (not just with stock), you may want to pump up people and communication skills.
    Language ability - conversational, reading, writing (esp. French) should be listed. Everyone can pass for conversational French here.