Can anyone explain the clicking noise on the HDD model?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by stakis, Apr 7, 2008.

1. stakis macrumors member

hey all...

I've read that the clicking noise that some people are experiencing on the 80g HDD is normal, but can anyone explain what exactly is making that happen.?

thanks.

2. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

During periods of inactivity the hard drive "parks" it's heads, some drives you can hear this happening, some you can't.

3. w00tini macrumors 6502a

man people are so hyper-sensitive about any little noise these days...its a hard drive, it works by slamming a head over a platter at ludicrous speeds. it's going to make a noise sometimes as it seeks back and forth, like any other HD in the world does. its not like the sound of a busy typewriter, its more like a VERY faint click if you're really moving some large files around.

i think i've heard it twice since I got my MBA about a month ago. don't be scared. we're here for ya ;)

4. stakis thread starter macrumors member

Just so I'm clear, I'm perfectly fine with the noise.... I'm not one of those "hyper sensitive folks"
    I simply wanted an mechanical answer as to why this happens.... much like Post #2.

cheers
    Stakis

5. n0de macrumors 6502

If you turn off the HD sleep option in the power savings control panel it seems to do it less often.

6. stakis thread starter macrumors member

cool... but at the expense of battery life... I think I'd rather deal with the clicking... I'm having a hard enough time as it is to get over 3 hours out of my MBA