Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 3, 2008
When I installed Vista via BootCamp 2.0 it only recognized 2.98GB of RAM. I was told I had to upgrade to Vista x64 to have it recognize all 4GB in my iMac. However, a bit ago my computer asked me to update to Boot Camp 2.1, which I did. It then let me download a few Windows updates that weren't available previously (Service Pack 1 and a few other random things).

After installing the updates my RAM now shows as 4.0GB. I'm thrilled but I want to make sure this isn't a fluke and just wanted to see what you guys thought and how this could have happened?

steveza

macrumors 68000
Feb 20, 2008
UK
This is a feature of SP1. Not all of it will be accessible by the OS but it reports all the installed memory up to 4GB on 32bit versions.

goinskiing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Meridian, ID
I see it as a cover-up from Microsoft.

From what I can tell, ALL it does is reports what you have installed, not necessarily what is being utilized. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong though.

Gotta love M$. :p

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
From what I can tell, ALL it does is reports what you have installed, not necessarily what is being utilized.

What's wrong with that; better then it shows not what you installed and pretends you only have less.

You can see how much it's using in Task Manager.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK

From what I can tell, ALL it does is reports what you have installed, not necessarily what is being utilized. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong though.

Really, it makes sense. A lot of people get so confused by 4GB of RAM in a computer.

steveza

macrumors 68000
Feb 20, 2008
UK
Indeed - they probably received many support calls as people were upgrading their RAM and not seeing half of it. For some people (I guess the majority of users) that do not understand the difference between a 32bit and 64bit OS it was probably easier to just show the total installed RAM.

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007
When I installed Vista via BootCamp 2.0 it only recognized 2.98GB of RAM. I was told I had to upgrade to Vista x64 to have it recognize all 4GB in my iMac. However, a bit ago my computer asked me to update to Boot Camp 2.1, which I did. It then let me download a few Windows updates that weren't available previously (Service Pack 1 and a few other random things).

After installing the updates my RAM now shows as 4.0GB. I'm thrilled but I want to make sure this isn't a fluke and just wanted to see what you guys thought and how this could have happened?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946003

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
I've installed 4 GBs in iMac and XP Pro SP2 only recognizes 2.98 GB :confused:

I thought you need 64 bit only if you want to go beyond 4 GB, no? :confused:

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California

A cover up from Microsoft (or as you uniquely put it, "M$")? Yes, it's all Microsoft's fault. They love tricking you. They just stay up all night and scheme of ways to trick you. Or, there is no conspiracy and it's actually just a hardware memory addressing issue on 32-bit OS's, one the would be true for Microsoft, Apple, Linux, or ANY OS. But, no, it's all "M$" fault.

It doesn't matter how much it says you have. You could probably "hack" it to say whatever number you want, but it wouldn't matter. A 32-bit OS can only use no more than 4 GB of RAM (but usually you'll only have 3 - 3.5 available). On a 64-bit OS, that goes away, and instead becomes some absurdly large number, allowing you to use just about however much you can stuff in there (although I think Microsoft puts a limiter on Vista of 128 GB of RAM, but in actuality a 64-bit OS could see more than that).

steveza

macrumors 68000
Feb 20, 2008
UK
I've installed 4 GBs in iMac and XP Pro SP2 only recognizes 2.98 GB :confused:

I thought you need 64 bit only if you want to go beyond 4 GB, no? :confused:
Indeed - you need a 64bit OS to use more that 4GB RAM - 32bit Windows normally uses up to 3.5GB max.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 3, 2008
A 32-bit OS can only use no more than 4 GB of RAM (but usually you'll only have 3 - 3.5 available).

This doesn't make sense. Why do people keep saying a 32-bit OS can use 4GB of RAM yet it only reports ever being able to use 3GB? What is happening to the other 1GB? This doesn't make any sense AT ALL.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
This doesn't make sense. Why do people keep saying a 32-bit OS can use 4GB of RAM yet it only reports ever being able to use 3GB? What is happening to the other 1GB? This doesn't make any sense AT ALL.

Like I said, because of memory addressing issues. 32-bit OS can only address up to 4 GB, 500MB - 1GB of which is used for physical memory addressing space (hardware), and the rest for actual memory (3.5GB - 3GB). If you want to really understand why in technical terms, read here.

To address 4GB of memory you need 32 bits of address bus. (Assuming individual bytes are addressable.) This gives us a problem - the same problem that IBM faced when designing the original PC. You tend to want to have more than just memory in a computer - you need things like graphics cards and hard disks to be accessible to the computer in order for it to be able to use them. So just as the original PC had to carve up the 8086's 1MB addressing range into memory (640K) and 'other' (384K), the same problem exists today if you want to fit memory and devices into a 32-bit address range: not all of the available 4GB of address space can be given over to memory.

Before XP, Vista, and Mac OS X came along (which are all 32-bit OS's), we had 16-bit OS's. 32-bit OS's have been common for a long time (like the past 10 + years), and now that people are using more than 4 GB of RAM, 64-bit OS's are taking over (Leopard, Vista, Linux, etc.). So again, this has nothing to do with just Microsoft. The rule is true for ANY OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.