Can anyone explain this??? Weird stripes upon return to Mac OS X Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by MacRum2011, Aug 28, 2011.

1. MacRum2011 macrumors regular

I was using iMac and I went away for about an our and upon return this is what was on the screen:

[​IMG]

Anyone help out to what this issue is? Its the first time i have ever seen it on any computer i have used. All being normal windows PCs and this iMac being my first ever Mac.

2. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

If you are near an Apple store I suggest that you take to them. There might be a problem with the GPU in the unit (no you can't replace it). If you are not near an Apple store then give them a call.

Hugh

3. Mr.C macrumors 601

I agree. I suspect it may well be a problem with the GPU. It's possible it may be over heating.

4. MacRum2011 thread starter macrumors regular

i'm no longer under AppleCare, it ran out 5 August 2011...Darn It!!! Won't it be expensive.

5. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

If you get a kind Genius, it could be free. Not to give you false hope but my Mac's logic board completely died. I never purchased Apple Care & was 3 years out of warranty - free replacement (would have cost $900+). That one incident has honestly guaranteed that my next computer will again be a Mac.

6. freedevil macrumors 6502a

freedevil

This problem plagued me with 2 GPU replacements, the only solution was running a maxed out fan control utility. I use iMac fan control daemon. No more silly glitches and graphical errors.

7. fullojellybeans macrumors regular

Apple may cover your unit up to 45 days out of warranty. Can't hurt to try it. Just saying.

8. MacRum2011 thread starter macrumors regular

i just restarted the mac after that happened and all was ok and still is today. I had finished export an iMovie project (20 minute 720P) just before i left the mac and iMovie really does max out the iMac with CPU over 100% and ram at 3.99GB. (being an 2008 iMac 4GB is the limit).

9. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Overheating, most likely.