Can anyone explain WHY there are no Realmedia codecs for QT yet?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by LiquidHarmony, Dec 29, 2009.

1. LiquidHarmony macrumors newbie

I have a seething hate for Real, and wish a bigger company would buy it and dismantle it.

Even Microsoft released the codec for their WMV for us to run it natively on the Mac. Why hasn't anyone come up with a solution yet? It's been done in Windows ages ago.

At the very least, I'd like to view my Real files with Quicklook. :mad:

Maybe I could create it myself. Can anyone point me in the right direction? :D

I found some .Bundle files in Realplayer that can be used by some programs to play/convert Real media. Can I do something with those? Where does Apple keep its codecs? :D

2. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

Joke alert

You mean someone still uses Real Player? :p

That being said, you can use VLC (http://videolan.org) to convert Real Audio files to another format. It's free but it's kludgey.

The Real Player for Mac isn't nearly the piece of **** that it is on Windows. With the exception of being able to use QuickLook, what are you really missing here?

-Aaron-

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

^^ This is the second time this week I saw someone post about RealPlayer... I too generally consider it dead for some time. The only times I ever see Real media on the internet is when some search leads me to a website that hasn't been updated in a decade. That in itself, is quite rare.

4. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

It's not available because 1) RealMedia is crapware and 2) the few people who know how to make QT plugins are already working on Perian plugins to add all sorts of codecs to QT (like the 20 versions of MPEG-4 people hacked together instead of just following the spec).

5. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Hober.com. One of the oldest radio stations on the internet. And they still use RealMedia files.

6. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

I was shocked when my wife needed to install Real Player on her MacBook to view videos from Kaplan. The videos were postage-stamp sized at around 10 frames per second. I thought I went back in time to the 90s again.

-Aaron-

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

For God's sake, take control of your life. If you don't like Real, then don't watch or listen to Real.

As for Microsoft, Microsoft did not release a QuickTime codec for WMV. Microsoft developed Windows Media Player for MacOS X, a player that can handle WMV up through non-DRMed WMV9. The QuickTime codec for WMV was developed and released by Telestream, an independent third-party developer. Telestream's Flip4Mac® WMV Components for QuickTime™ can handle WMV7, WMV8, WMV9, and some other lesser known Microsoft formats. It cannot handle WMV10, WMV11, WMV12, or any version of DRMed WMV. Years after Microsoft ended development of WMP for MacOS X, it endorsed Telestream's free Windows Media® Components for QuickTime and hosts the codec on its website.