Can anyone get a GPS lock on series 4?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Pewpewpew, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Pewpewpew macrumors member

Have done more testing after having poor GPS results running.

Can anyone get a GPS lock on the maps app?

Stood outside for 20 minutes and there was still a big blue circle around the marker. Whereas my iPhone went to just the marker within 30 seconds.

2. Monkswhiskers macrumors regular

If you download Runkeeper it has a Gps strength indicator, might be worth seeing how strong the signal it is getting. Might be a hardware issue.

3. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

I opened the Maps app on my S4 in my office next to a really large window, and I get a virtually instantaneous location lock. If I walk further inside the building, I see the blue circle as it struggle with finding GPS on the 7th floor of a 30-story office tower. But my S4 Watch GPS is working perfectly for workouts and Maps.

4. Pewpewpew thread starter macrumors member

I can’t get GPS lock inside or outside. Is your watch Aluminium or Stainless steel?

5. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

S4 Gold Aluminum.

It sounds like you have a hardware issue. I had a Garmin several years ago with a hardware GPS problem. They had me send them a bunch of data from runs and rides with both my new watch and an older Garmin watch before they said, yeah, the hardware is bad.

6. Deguello macrumors 6502a

Deguello

I get near instantaneous lock. It's there as soon as the map loads.

I don't run, but when I walk (14 minutes per mile, more or less) the GPS is phenomenal. Way better than anything my phones ever did.

When I look at the workout map, the path is perfect. It shows where I cross the streets. Heck, it shows when I get off the sidewalk to go around cars in driveways. When I turn a corner, there's a smidgen of red in the path because I slow down. When I jog across a street to beat incoming traffic, it shows green.

I know none of that really solves what you're seeing, but it does lead me to believe it is probably something specific to your watch and not a global failing of GPS. Wait, no pun intended. I think there's hope it will do what you want, even if that means an exchange.

7. Pewpewpew thread starter macrumors member

Will go to Apple shop and ask for a replacement. Mine has blue circle around the marker even outside in an open field.

8. Jason Honer Suspended

Jason Honer

Mine is showing me about 10 miles away from my actual location.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 26, 2018 ---
    Actually, My iphone ios showing me 10 miles away in the same location also. Hmmmmm

9. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

Are you sure you are really where you think you are? :)

10. Jason Honer Suspended

Jason Honer

I'm not sure. Let me check my Watch to see.....

11. Pewpewpew thread starter macrumors member

Sitting in the car, the watch hasn’t got a clue where I am on the maps app, can’t keep up. The iPhone tracks position precisely and moves as the car does. Going to be a long wait to see if a replacement watch fixes it.