Can anyone get rid of Trovi?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by rogercorke, Nov 26, 2014.

1. rogercorke macrumors newbie

I've got this really irritating piece of adware - perhaps it's even a full-blown virus - called Trovi on my Macbook Air which I cannot get rid of.

It appeared when I was asked to download a Java update a couple of days ago. It now looks like that was just a ruse to get it onto my machine and now every time I open up Chrome, Safari or Firefox it's there, acting a search engine window powered by Bing.

I've Googled to try to find out how to clear it. Some people suggested downloading ClamXav or Mackeeper. I've tried both and neither works. Someone else suggested changing the setting in the search engines because Trovi gets your search engine to make it the default. On Chrome, I changed by default search engine back to Googled and then removed every possible search engine from the list in advanced settings. That didn't work, either. Still got Trovi when I click on Chrome even though it tells me that my default search engine is now Google.

Makes me think that these poisonous people have recently updated their software to get round these attempts to ged rid of it.

I've found a couple of programmes which claim to get rid of it but they are all for PC. Anybody got any ideas?

Would it help me to delete the Java update which caused all the problems in the first place and if so, how do I do that?

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As others have posted, there are ways to get rid of it. It's not a virus.
    You can also try using this tool: Adware Removal Tool

Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 12 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). 3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.
    Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

4. dvoros macrumors 6502

I have tired all ideas above. None seem to work. Any newer suggestions?

5. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

Try this: https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/mac/ It works great and free too!
    --- Post Merged, Jan 21, 2016 ---
    Try this: https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/mac/ Worked for me and it's free. I got unwanted ads, when I installed Chrome. Everything is fine now!

6. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Malware bytes is very good. I used to use it when I had a Windows laptop. It was much better than Macafee or any of be other anti virus programmes that I used.

At the moment I'm using bit defender for Mac. It seems to be doing a good job at the moment but if it ever fails me I'd download malware bytes in a heartbeat.

7. dvoros macrumors 6502

8. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

9. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss