Can anyone get user-defined keyboard shortcuts to work?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Drewski, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Drewski macrumors regular

According to Apple Support and Gary R. of Macmost, programming keys to open apps is a simple process: Click the :apple:, then System Preferences, then Keyboard, then Shortcuts tab, and select App Shortcuts. At this point I'll choose an app (e.g. Calculator) and an unused key combo (Command-Option-C, for example) or a Function key (I opted to use all Function Keys as standard for this reason). Nothing has been working so far. It seems like too easy of a process to screw up, so I'm wondering if this is a Mavericks issue.

Can you get this to work?

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

The App Shortcuts can be used to execute commands on the menu of an application. Using the Calculator as an example, just about every menu item already have a keyboard shortcut, but Clear doesn't so you could assign Command-Option C to "Clear". The name in the menu must exactly match.

But it sounds like you want a user defined key to launch an application not execute a menu command within the application. You can't do that here because the commands are passed to the application that has focus, which of course must be running already!

I just verified that you can use Automator to create a service which will launch an application. Then a keystroke can be assigned to run that service. If you need further instructions, I (or someone else) can post these later.

3. Drewski thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I see that now. The keyboard shortcuts for App Shortcuts are only to add shortcuts to existing menu items that otherwise don't have shortcuts. I guess I just don't have the memory for that many keyboard shortcuts!

Exactly what I was looking for. I didn't read closely enough as to what the actual purpose of the user-defined app shortcuts were: shortcuts for menu items that the original programmers felt were unnecessary. I must've been thinking of the common-app function keys on my old MS keyboards, I guess.

Thanks for the point in that direction. I've only recently started messing with Automator, so maybe this would make for good practice.

4. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I'll just give you a couple of pointers: Make sure the service you create receives "no input" in "any application" for it to appear as a candidate for a keyboard shortcut. And the action you want is "Launch Application".

5. Drewski thread starter macrumors regular

Created a new Service in Finder. I can use the function keys as one key app startups. BUT... only if Finder is on top, so it kind of negates the shortcut part of it.

I did call Applecare with this question. The tech / genius / first level person as well as his 2nd level advisor were unable to help, but both mentioned that they would love to know how to program keyboard shortcuts to launch apps for their own use at work. :roll eyes: Not sure I needed to hear that from technical assistance...

6. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

99% of Mac users don't use Automator. Tech support generally only knows how to solve common problems.