Can anyone have more than 16 "opened" apps?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by cubs1987, Aug 14, 2008.

1. cubs1987 macrumors newbie

Ok so I saw that someone else was having this problem, but it appears that I can only have 16 applications on my ipod touch (I was gonna wait to buy the new supposed update in september but my uncle bought me one the other day). I can have more applications, however I am limited to only having 16 "open" applications, meaning that I have utilized them. I tried opening 3 apps that I had not tried out since downloading and all go to their welcome screen and go back to the home screen. Is anyone else havign this problem and/or have a fix for this?

BTW: I am a longtime reader of this forum and have found many of the posts useful but just am now making an account.

Cliffs:
    - Can only have 16 "utilized" apps on 8GB ipod touch (3GB still free)
    - Saw someone else had problem
    - Anyone have fix or solution?

Thanks for your help

2. westernmass macrumors 6502

westernmass

I guess my question is WHY? Why would you want that many open apps anyway.

3. cubs1987 thread starter macrumors newbie

why would i want to have more than 16 working (3rd party) apps on my iphone? I dunno, I don't want to be limited to only having 16 apps?

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I don't think that's true - I've got 28 apps on my iPhone and it's fine.
    Apart from anything, you can only ever have one third party app open at a time on an iPhone or iPod touch as they're not allowed to run in the background.
    There have been reports of apps failing to launch, and the solution seems to be re-installing them

5. cubs1987 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response. Well since I'm at work I can't really tell what is in this post besides the words:

But that is where I was getting it from. I tried re-installing them on my ipod after I deleted them but it didn't work. I will try re-downloading them when I get home. What about paid apps though? Will I have to pay again?

6. westernmass macrumors 6502

westernmass

I think I miss understood or we are talking apples and oranges. I have more than 16 apps on my iPhone and all work (for the most part fine) But the "OPEN" part is where the confusion is. I thought you meant you wanted to try and have 16 apps "OPEN, activated, whatever" at the same time. That just did not make sence.

7. cubs1987 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for the confusion, but what I meant is that I can only have access to 16 3rd party applications. It seems like only 3 apps are blocked but, from what I gathered from the other post I quoted, its only because I had not used them yet.
    OK to simplify cause now I'm getting confused...haha:
    I buy 16 applications and begin to open them one at a time. At the 17th, it will only take me back to the home screen and won't open. That's what I think is happening.
    its either this or all 3 apps: Texas Hold 'em, Suduko (free) and Speed Test all don't work-> which it very well could be