Can Anyone Help? Connecting my Time Capsule to Exisiting Router

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by neil950, Jan 5, 2011.

1. neil950 macrumors newbie

Hello

I have just purchased a new Time Capsule but struggling to set it up in the most effective manner. I currently have a Belkin Wireless Router / Modem that I was using to provide me with internet connection and my home wireless network.

Now I have the TC, I want to use that for my home wireless network but I will need to still use my Belkin router / modem to provide me with the internet connection.

Is there a way I can disable the 'router' element of the belkin unit and just use it as a simple ADSL ethernet modem to connect to my TC and then let the TC set up the network?

I'm a complete novice when it comes to networking issues so any simple suggestions will be hugely appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation...

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

That would depend on the model of your Belkin router. You may be able to find instructions on how to do this if you google the model and "bridge mode" or something similar.

Another, probably simpler, solution would be to place the Time Capsule into bridge mode and let the Belkin handle DHCP. Just turn Internet Sharing to Off (Bridge mode) in your AirPort Utility and plug the Time Capsule into the Belkin. The only disadvantage to this is you'll lose the ability to have a guest network, but you'll still have a 2.4GHz and a 5GHz band in addition to any SSIDs created by your Belkin.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

First, it might help if you can tell us what model Belkin it is...

I run a similar approach with my Airpost Extreme. My ISP provided router connects to the internet with wireless disabled. The Airport is wired to the ISPs router and provides the local wireless network.

Is this basically what you want?

EDIT: What skorpien said. Depending on how your ISP works you may have to keep the Belkin in the loop at least providing wired ruting functions and basic services like DHCP and may not be able to enable the guest network feature.

B

4. neil950 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. It's a Belkin Wireless G modem router - model number (uk) - F5D7633-4

Apart from loss of guest network (which I'm not really bothered about) do I lose any other performance / functionality by having the Time Capsule in Bridge Mode?

Balamw - yes, basically that's what I want.

Thanks again

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

There should be no loss of performance or functionality at all. My network has an AEBS router and a TC bridge with clients connected to both and I haven't had any issues whatsoever.