Can anyone help? Issues connecting to Leopard machine from Mac running Tiger.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacBiscuit, Nov 19, 2007.

1. MacBiscuit macrumors member

I have a new iMac running 10.5 on a network with a Mac Mini running 10.4. I can connect to the old Mac using a named user, but I don't appear to have sufficient permissions to write to many of the folders on the old machine. Basically I just want to copy stuff from the home account on my iMac to the desktop of the other machine.

Interestingly I can connect from the Mac Mini to the iMac no problem...

Is this a Leopard bug, or something wrong with my Mini?

2. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

seems to be like a priveledge problem.
    i have this all the time when trying to access files on my laptop from other computers, you need the user name taht has both read AND write permissions to that folder/drive.

just check each folder's correct user name and log on with that, or change all folders to a user that you can log on with to view them all

4. MacBiscuit thread starter macrumors member

The iMac (10.5) is connecting over wireless, the Mac Mini by ethernet to the wireless router.

I'm logging into the remote machine using 'my' log in, i.e the same user I log in directly as when using the machine. l should therefore have read/write permissions on all folders within that user's home directory, shouldn't I?

To clarify...

1. I can log into the Mac Mini (10.4) directly as 'User1' with full read/write access to home folder and all subfolders.

2. Over the network via the iMac (10.5) I connect to the Mini as 'User1' and access User1's home folder. I now only appear to have selective write access, and I can't even read the ~/Desktop folder.