Can anyone help me? I am an Imac moron

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Pete7784, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Pete7784 macrumors newbie

Ok here is my problem. This morning I changed my login username. In order to do that it asked that I change my password so I did that. I then logged out. After I logged in with the new password everything from my old login name was wiped out. No emails, no nothing. All my songs on itunes are gone, all my bookmarks etc... I figured I created another account. I searched for my original account but cant find anything.

Does anyone know what in the world I did and how to get back to my original login administration account?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. wfoster macrumors 6502a

wfoster

Hi,

Sorry to hear it. Go to your System Preferences then go to User Accounts. Check if your account is still there.

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I have a feeling that you may have renamed your home folder, check this out to see if you can recover it. Hope it helps.

4. Pete7784 thread starter macrumors newbie

I found an alias library in the network section. It gives me three options. It says the alias library could not be opened because the original item cannot be found.

The 3 options are delete alias, fix alias or ok.

I'm lost. LOL

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Click on your Hard Drive icon, open the Users folder.

Inside the Users folder you should see a folder for each user account. See if your songs and stuff are still inside one of those folders.

6. Pete7784 thread starter macrumors newbie

In my users folder I have a deleted folder which has nothing in it a shared folder and a house with my original username but when I click on the house it is not my original file.

7. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Three words;

Time

Machine

Restore

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I had a similar problem with a customer. OP, go to spotlight and see if you locate a file from your old account - there's a good chance that you will see it and be able to open it.

9. Pete7784 thread starter macrumors newbie

No I did not see any old files whatsoever in spotlight.