Can anyone help me identity (& fix) this strange Dock items?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by Cassady, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Cassady macrumors 6502a

Cassady

Hello all,

Dock was mostly hidden, and unused in Mavericks (use Alfred etc. to do all my launching).

With Yosemite, figured I'd give it another go.

Restored/unhid the Dock - but now have these strange icons in it. Presumably(?) they are non-update/Yosemite ready Apps - but I cannot for the life of me, work out what they are. Dragging them off the Dock brings up a little "remove" icon, but releasing the drag, does nothing (no puff of disappearance). Quitting them does nothing either...

Any tips?

PS - hovering over them, brings up "qlmanage" as the tooltip??

Attached Files:

2. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

If you right click (control + click) on the them you will have options for removing them from the dock and finding them in Finder.

3. Cassady thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cassady

Many thanks. Found them in Finder - part of the Quicklook functionality - as pointed out (kindly) by the post after yours. It's some sort of an exec file in the OS systems, so not something I'd want to play around with(?)

Thing is - still cannot work out how to remove it from the Dock. As mentioned - quitting does nothing, neither does dragging it...

4. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Right click > Options > Remove from Dock doesn't work? Are they actually quitting (is there a dock below the icons indicating they're still running)? Have you tried restarting?

5. Cassady thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cassady

Still downloading updates - so haven't restarted after the installation. That might very well do the trick - should've tried that first! :rolleyes:

But right-click does nada. The screen-ab below has all the options available... Note the dot underneath appears to indicate it's active somehow(?)...

[Edit]

The plots thickens in Activity monitor...

Should I simply kill these?

Attached Files:

6. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Yeah, they're still running so there's no way to have them leave the Dock until they're quit. I bet a restart will fix it. Post back here if it doesn't.

7. Cassady thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cassady

Thanks! Will do!

8. Cassady thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cassady

Force quit and restart did the trick - thanks again for the help!

9. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Anytime! Glad it worked!