Can anyone help me make a "DVD player laptop"?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ravenvii, Feb 26, 2008.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

The said laptop is a Compaq N800c. So I'm limited to Windows or Linux here (no OS X).

I'm having a really hard time trying to get it to behave the way I want it to. I want it to basically output to my projector and play DVDs. Sound simple? Well, it isn't.

On Windows (the one I've experimented with the most), I managed to get the codec for MPEG-2 working with WMP, got WMP to play the DVDs I want, etc. That's fine. But the hard part comes to when connecting the laptop to the projector. For some reason Windows refuses to recnogize that my projector is a 720p/1080i projector. It only displays 4:3 resolutions. I tried installing the ATi control panel. It recnogizes the projector as a 720p/1080i display. But it couldn't change the resolution to what I want, and when I tried forcing 720p, it crashes.

And also, I can't get Windows to mirror the display. I don't want the desktop extended, because I want to stick the DVD in, and it starts playing full-screen. I don't want to drag windows around and monkey around with settings every time I play a DVD.

If anyone can help me with the above, I'll worship upon the ground you walk on.

If not, I am also willing to try Linux. I know getting Linux to play DVDs is a bitch, but I know how to do it. I've not experimented much with Linux's (X.org to be exact)'s display-spanning/mirroring/etc capabilities, and whether it'll allow me to force 720p without crashing.

Anyone who gives me a step-by-step to achieve this with Linux will have me worship the ground he/she walks on, as well. ;)

*prays for help*

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

And that's why I hate using Linux. Nothing is simple. :eek:

I tried to get SUSE 9.x to play my MP3s, make a playlist, and I simply couldn't. I found a program to play songs individually, but not in the manner I want, or that I'm used to. There were no options. In fact, I couldn't play mp3s at all at first, and had to look up why on the internet. When I finally got mp3s to work, and got an acceptable player, it still wasn't a good experience, so I just gave up.

3. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

I give up with Linux. So forget that.

With Windows, how do I do the above? I figured getting the latest ATi drivers/control panel would help, but the Radeon Mobility 7500 isn't even on their site! Not even in the legacy section! What gives?

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

5. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Never had a problem with DVDs on Ubuntu... then again I always just instal VLC and that takes care of all my media.

6. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Thanks for that! I'll come back and worship you if it works!

Sure, but Linux is even worse than Windows when it comes to multiple monitors and resolutions.

(And don't even think about telling me "oh it's a simple edit of xorg.conf or whatever. I don't give a ****, and do not want to edit endless conf files to tweak one tiny thing. So **** off.)

7. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

[​IMG]

I now worship the ground you walk on.

I have absolutely no clue what Powerstrip did. I just installed the program and ran it, and that's it. Didn't change any preferences or settings or anything. And magically, Windows mirrors the display, and in the display properties, it shows 1280x720 as a resolution. Just like that, it now works just the way I wanted it to work.

*you walk somewhere* *I scramble to worship the ground on which you just stood*