Can Anyone Help Me With My Problem On Safari PLease??!?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PoppyHart, Jan 21, 2009.

1. PoppyHart macrumors newbie

Hello all!

I've only just found this site.. So hopefully, if anyone with better expertise can help, i'll get some better advice than from my friends who've just told me to download Firefox (which i have, and though i don't have problems on there, i'm still more of a Safari fan :eek:)

The issue i've been having - which i'll do my best to explain! - is when i load pages in safari, their always off grid..(??)
    For instance; there will be say, 3 columns but 2 of the columns have started to overlapp?! So basically if i'm reading a news article, all the ads down the side will cover up pretty much everyline so i can't read it. If it's boxes, sometimes a few have shifted and there's only half a picture or half a video.. It's a tedious problem but totally irritating!
    It never used to be like that and i don't think i've even changed anything! It's probably something really simple, i just don't know how to fix it :(

Hope i'm making sense and Sorry i'm not good explaining it more technically!
    I've got an iMac and i've pretty much always used Macs, but saying that, i still wouldn't exactly call myself mac-savvy.. :confused:

So I'll certainly appreciate any input anyone has and thanks even if you've just taken time to read it.. :D
    Poppy

2. macoazm macrumors newbie

WebKit...

Give us an example of a page that behaves like this.

You may try to use the latest WebKit nightly build. Summing up, WebKit is the open source code Apple built Safari upon.

Download it and click in the "Develop" in the Menu bar. There you can change your user-agent, fooling websites into thinking you are running a different browser. Some websites deliver slightly different code for different browsers and sometimes they mess things up... You can do the same in Safari, but another advantage of using webkit is that it's 100% compatible with HTML/JavaScript/CSS/etc specifications.... so, if the website still shows up like you said, it's a problem in the code of the page, not in Safari...

http://nightly.webkit.org/

3. PoppyHart thread starter macrumors newbie

Webkit..?

Thank you for replying! :)

I'm not sure how to post pictures in this, but I can say that this problem occurs on websites like AOL.com or BBC.co.uk and Channel4.com, Its the right side moving over to cover the middle sections or the middle sections moving right and going behind the advertising! If you need a visual example just let me know how :eek:

I thought it was a problem with the websites too, but since I've downloaded Firefox, I see it doesn't happen on there.

I've downloaded Webkit as you've suggested and the icon is the same as safari but gold.. Is this a replacement application? I've opened it and the loading has the same problems. But maybe it's also because I'm also struggling to find the "Develop" that I'm supposed to click on, plus i don't know what a user-agent is!
    Apologies for my incompetence!
    And Thanks again.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

What is your OS version?
    What is yoru Safari version?

5. PoppyHart thread starter macrumors newbie

OS Leopard, 10.5.5
    Safari is 3.1.2

Do I need to update it?

6. macoazm macrumors newbie

Your Mac and Safari is updated... (you should go for 10.5.6 though)

That's it, the same icon as Safari but golden. It's not a replacement because the nightly builds are "beta", test versions....I find then stable enough to use daily, but your mileage may vary...

When I say it's a website problem, I mean it was poorly designed to be compatible with all browsers.

Excuse me for this, but you have to enable the Develop option in the menu bar. In webkit, Click Safari, Preferences, Advanced and in the bottom select "Show Develop menu in menu bar"....

Another thing you can try is update your Flash version (google search: flash mac) beucase many ads use them to display content.

7. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Poppy,

With one of the suspect pages open, hold down Command-Shift-3. This will create a screen grab on your desktop called Picture 1. Upload it to here as an attachment. Here's how the BBC page looks in my Safari.

Attached Files:

8. macoazm macrumors newbie

I really think I've seen what you're talking about, but I didn't pay much attention.

Please tell us a specific page when this is happening....

9. PoppyHart thread starter macrumors newbie

Appreciate all the help!

Thanks for the advice Southernboy :)

Hope these pictures help you Macoazm, I've now also enabled the Develop menu and have clicked through the various user-agents.

Nothing has changed though, so I'll try and update my Flash version too.

Attached Files:

10. macoazm macrumors newbie

Popy!! Nothing related to the user-agent thing.... I think is as simple as your font size! Please hold Commmand and click the minus button "-" this will decrease your font size and, hopefully, fix your problem!

11. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I don't have that problem even if I up my font size several times with command +. I know you said that your friends told you to use Firefox; does the same problem happen with that browser? Have you tried reinstalling Safari? It's almost as if it refuses to recognize the various divs in the page and their positioning...

12. macoazm macrumors newbie

Man, just visited www.aol.co.uk the page you posted, and the exatctly same thing happens with me. No matter if I use Safari or Webkit.... decreasing font size won't help... in fact, increasing it (Command +) helps a bit, but not fixes it completely...

I tried changing the user-agent, but didn't work either.

It really is a page design flaw.... I think you should contact AOL UK and ask them for Safari compatibility

13. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Hi Poppy,

I don't seem to be experiencing the problems that you're having. Try installing Safari Adblock:

http://safariadblock.sourceforge.net/

It'll tidy things up a bit and make everything a bit snappier ;)

14. portent macrumors 6502a

In Safari Preferences, click on Advanced.

Check the "Never Use font sizes smaller than..." box, and set the value to "10"

15. PoppyHart thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again for posting!

Macoazm, im glad you went on the website and you can see what i mean!
    Irritating isn't it :p I don't think it is a design flaw because when i use Firefox it doesn't do it on there, and it also seems Southernboy doesn't experience it either... it's definately repairable... somehow!

I'll try all the other suggestions everyone has made! I'll let you know how i get on :)

If anyone has any other suggestions, keep them coming!
    We'll fix this yet!