Can anyone help me with my problem?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by imjoee, Jul 6, 2012.

1. imjoee macrumors 6502

imjoee

I have a picture which I want to edit. I have a picture of an empty pool, I want to find a way to put a shark in the middle oh the pool. How do I put a photo over a photo? Can Lightroom 4 be used to do that editing? Or are there any other programs I can use?

2. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

Use photoshop to cut out the shark, open the swimming pool photo in Photoshop and drag and drop the cut out image of the shark in to the pool photo, postion where you want it and save job done :)

3. snberk103 macrumors 603

No, Lightroom can not do this. You need an editing program like Photoshop. See below....

Yep. Also, don't forget to feather a few pixels around the shark, and to match the lighting angle on the pool and the shark (that is... so the light doesn't come from the left on one, and from the right on the other). Also, may want to add a bit of shadow under the shark for the reality. Unless you just want the look of cutting a picture of shark out and pasting it onto a picture of a pool. Which, is another way of doing this... print the shark and the pool, cut the shark out and place on top of pool picture and rephotograph or scan. Might be easier than acquiring, installing, and learning an editing application. Though if you were really good you might be able to do it with Pages and Preview if the shark was on a completely white background.

4. imjoee thread starter macrumors 6502

imjoee

Thanks for the replay! So in the end result I have to get photoshop to do this task?

5. NikMac macrumors member

Photoshop or any other graphics editing program can do what you need. Although, as Snberk103 pointed out there may be easier methods.

Personally I prefer GIMP, which is very similar to Photoshop but doesn't have the $700 price tag. You will need to install X11 to run it on a Mac. More details here:

http://www.gimp.org/macintosh/

6. snberk103 macrumors 603

There are other alternatives. One key feature to make it easier is an application that has "layers". Do a Google search for Mac compatible editing programs that have layers. You put the shark on one layer, and put the pool on the bottom layer (background) underneath it, merge/flatten/combine/different words for basically the same thing and walla! you are done. This assumes you have already removed the image surrounding the shark.

Pages has the ability to work with layers... so while it may have seemed facetious, it was not. The second "feature" you need is the ability to remove the parts in the photo of the shark that are not the shark itself. That's the tougher one. But... if you can 'paint' those pixels oner with white then I believe you can use an "alpha layer". Essentially, painting pixels you don't' want to see with white and cutting them out entirely creates the same look. Adobe products use the lasso tool (primarily) for selecting pixels you can then delete (cut out.) I don't know what other applications call the lasso tool. Alternatively you use the lasso tool to select the shark and copy those pixels, which are then pasted on top of the pool.

For someone who knows what they are doing this is not too big a job, depending on the photo to the shark and how complicated it is. For someone who hasn't done this before and doesn't have the tools - you are starting to discover why people get paid to do this.

If you are in a rush, pay one of your friends to do the job. This is worth at least 2 beers. If you have time and don't want to spend any money, then find an editing program similar to Photoshop Elements (you don't need the full Photoshop - elements will work fine I believe) and use the trial version. Unless you plan on using Gimp for a lot of other things - don't bother with it. The learning curve to get x11 installed, then to install Gimp, then to learn Gimp is worth at least a twofer (24 in Candianese) of beers to your friend who edits images. Trust me.... Gimp is a bear.

7. imjoee thread starter macrumors 6502

imjoee

Thanks for the response! As I read the bottom I actually got a friend to do it for free! Thanks for the choices I appreciate it a lot!!!

----------

All I need isto know how to do it in Lightroom since you guys are saying is possible, I'm still a noob at it but im learning

8. snberk103 macrumors 603

Free is good! Must have been a really good friend... I would have extracted at least one beer even from my best friend for doing this... :)

Lightroom is a really useful program.... but, no, it can not combine two images like this. Are you perhaps also reading another thread about blurring license plates?

9. imjoee thread starter macrumors 6502

imjoee

Ok thanks fr answering my question! I'm no I don't know that thread why?

10. snberk103 macrumors 603

There is another thread where someone asked about blurring a licence plate, and hoping they didn't have to go to Photoshop for that. There were some suggestions, including using Lightroom... which in that case would have worked. In your case there appeared to be some confusion whether Lr could combine the two images... which it won't ... but I was wondering if the confusion was simply because you were reading the other thread about Lr.

ps can we see the finished photo? It would be polite, eh?