can anyone help me with this kernel panic? (IMMEDIATE ungraceful shut down on "restart")

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by Glassed Silver, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Glassed Silver macrumors 68000

Glassed Silver

Hey guys,

basically, what I need help with is in the title and here's the crash report, hope anyone can help me with this, because this has long passed the point of being an annoyance.
    I'm not a fan of El Crapitan so far, this just keeps me reminding of that and adds to the usual head shaking over the further dumbing down of OS X.

Anyhow, cutting the whining, here it comes:

Thanks in advance!
    Can't wait to properly restart (AND HENCE UPDATE OS X :eek:) again. :p

Glassed Silver:mac

2. Ebenezum macrumors 6502a

Are you certain these are El Capitan compatible?

If they are must have then you can narrow it down by removing them and installing them one at the time and see which combination causes the kernel panic.

3. Glassed Silver thread starter macrumors 68000

Glassed Silver

I've been pondering about this as well, but wouldn't simply unloading these kexts suffice instead of going through an uninstallation, reinstallation, reconfiguration process?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I'm with Ebenezum. I would ditch all those third party kexts and see if that helps. Also try disconnecting any USB accessories. I have seen quite a few people having trouble with Soundflower, to that might be a good one to start with.

You can just drag the kext files off to the desktop then reboot to disable them. Then put them back one by one to test.

If you run the app Etrecheck and it will create a report showing exactly where those kext files are located.

5. Glassed Silver thread starter macrumors 68000

Glassed Silver

New info, I dug around in the logs a bit:

(date format is DD/MM, so yes the entries are fresh :p )

EtreCheck reports:

Didn't try unloading the kexts yet, because my Mac's currently doing some work I can't just pause, so I'll have to try that later on, wanted to add the info anyhow of course.

6. chrfr, Nov 9, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2015

chrfr macrumors 603

First off, you're still running the final beta of 10.11. Download the full 10.11.1 installer and run that. It will not appear as an update.
    Also, as others have mentioned, many of your 3rd party extensions are significantly out of date.

7. Glassed Silver thread starter macrumors 68000

Glassed Silver

I did have luck with not logging in and updating through a restart procedure and being asked whether I want to install the outstanding update.
    About This Mac reports 10.11.1, but I still have the update show up in App Store. Oh well, eventually it'll purge I'm sure.
    That happened around 20-30 mins ago.

Fingers crossed my Mac's finally stable again.

Thanks everyone for your input! :)

8. chrfr macrumors 603

The 10.11.1 update may not install properly over the beta. If you click on the "Version 10.11.1" text in About this Mac, it will show a build number. What number do you see when you do that?

9. Glassed Silver, Nov 9, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2015

Glassed Silver thread starter macrumors 68000

Glassed Silver

15B42

So all good here. :)

Also, does anyone know why +C and +V don't work in Safari?
    I'm wondering if PopClip might be the culprit, because that as well doesn't work, but the release note says it's ready for El Cap.
    I've had this issue both the the GM release as well as 10.11.1 now.

Edit: I deactivated PopClip for Safari (exclusion list) and restarted Safari, but to no avail. No keyboard shortcuts for Safari. (oh, by the way, none at all I forgot to actually say. +T for a new tab doesn't work either for example!)