Can anyone identify this snake??

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by lchad2, Oct 19, 2008.

1. lchad2 macrumors newbie

Hopefully some one can help me identify this snake. I was cleaning my pool filter and it darted from under the pump motor (where I assume it was keeping warm), over my BARE foot and out into the grass. I was able to distract it while my wife ran for the camera. At first I thought this may be a copperhead but after doing a little research on the internet I think this may be a baby cotton mouth, aka water moccasin due to the bright yellow tip of the tail. I am a little concerned because I have a small child and this is in a frequent play area. I have almost no knowledge of snakes and now am eager to learn more. I live in northwest Florida where snakes are common but this is my first encounter with a venemous snake if it is indeed a cotton mouth. please note: the snake was not harmed and successffully relocated. I have heard that moccasins live in dens. If this is true, can I expect more? Let me know what you think!!

Thanks
    Lchad2

Attached Files:

2. hmmfe macrumors regular

Looks like a western cottonmouth to me. You say you live in NW Florida? Typically this sub-species is common to the Gulf states (Southern Alabama to Texas). Hard to tell though - could just be the lighting. The Florida cottonmouth is a bit thicker and darker colored from my memory. I grew up in Southern Florida and I was more familiar with. Either way, it is a cottonmouth - venomous but not really deadly (would still not want to have it around my house though).

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Looks like a live snake.

That needs to be fixed... with a shovel.

4. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

Amen!

5. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

if you have snakes you may have a vermin problem. I would check for mice and other rodents.

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Without spiders we would be over ridden with insects.
    Without snakes we would be over ridden with mice.

And snakes are super neat and interesting, so leave it alone.

And I agree with the poster about it being a cotton mouth. Don't touch it! It's venomous. And even if it isn't a cotton mouth it's obviously venomous.

EDIT: I just clicked on the thumbnails. You killed it. What the hell, man!?

7. lchad2 thread starter macrumors newbie

macrumors regular

Join Date: Sep 2008 if you have snakes you may have a vermin problem. I would check for mice and other rodents.

No vermin problem. Like I said, This snake came from under the pool pump where it is warm. I live in northwes Florida and it has been getting down to the mid 50s at night. I think it just found a warm place and was hanging out.

8. Balty macrumors 6502

Balty

Where's Steve Irwin when you need him... :D

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

:eek::eek:
    too soon!
    :(:(

10. lchad2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Once we started taking pics, it started to to open its mouth and hiss a bit. It was a little cold so it was moving slow. Trust me... if I would have killed that snake, it would be missing a head. The snake was swepped into a bucket and taken to a swap a few miles away by my greenpeace neighbor from nextdoor.

11. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Oh sorry. It looks dead in the second picture. I'm glad you relocated it. Now you're safe and it's safe.

12. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Birds and lizards could take the place of satan-spawn spiders and nasty snakes.

Kill 'em all!!!!

We have a saying in Australia (where the men are men and the snakes will kill 80 of those men with one dose of venom):

"A snake's only protected if it gets away."

13. Balty macrumors 6502

Balty

Basically.... :D

But do we really need to Kill 'em all!!!! ?

14. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

arent cottonmouths a little darker, i mean a lot darker?? kind of looks like a copperhead. Most cottonmouths I've seen are dark dark in color, usually black or dark brown. helps them blend in in the water/mud etc. its mouth is also white white, that ones mouth looks pink. edit:after further review of the pics as well as the op's text, i will say its a copperhead. most copperheads have a bright yellow tail when young, to lure frogs and such. correct me if cottonmouths have this too but I am only sure of copperheads. as for those who hate on snakes, EFF all of yall, I used to petsit a ball python and they are the most gental cratures ever, so curious as well. as soon as i get my own house I will have a pet snake of some sort!

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I agree, it will ALWAYS be too soon :(

RIP mate, you were an amazing man

16. lchad2 thread starter macrumors newbie

I concur... He actually came out here to northwest Florida and did a show about the alligator, (the episode where he went to Eglin AFB and got to ride in the F-16) I was fortunate enough to listen to him speak. Super nice guy!!

17. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

I agree, looks like a cottonmouth to me. STAY AWAY!!! Call animal control.

Do you have kids?

18. lchad2 thread starter macrumors newbie

I do, a 4yr old, and like I said, this is in a play area, right next to the pool. I have heard that these live in dens. Do you think I can expect more??