Can anyone make this USB BT 4.0 dongle work?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by RedCroissant, Sep 14, 2015.

1. RedCroissant Suspended

Hello all!

I might have purchased the wrong item but hoping that there's a work around since it was fairly inexpensive. I purchased an Insignia USB Bluetooth Adapter that I cannot find drivers for to make it work or even be recognized on my PowerMac G5. I bought it thinking that even though it has Windows compatibility that I might be able to make it work since it is made and supported by Broadcom. However, a driver for my powerMac is elusive. Any ideas?

The Actual model number is: NS-PCY5BMA

Thanks in advance for any help with this!

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

My advice would be to return that adapter and pick up a Rocketfish Micro USB Bluetooth adapter. They are plug and play in Tiger and Leopard and are the same general design as this adapter.

3. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Or, if you want BT4.0, get this.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

5. happyfrappy macrumors 6502

Zoom model #4322 also works on PowerPC, sadly its just a BT2.1+EDR but range wise I've pushed ~40 feet with a BT speaker. Supports as early as 10.3.

6. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

Yeah, after fiddling around with it for a while, I did decide to return it and will find other ways of getting BT. I just cannot afford the actual runway card that I really want! Thanks for all of the assistance!

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

What is the part (i.e., part number or specific name)you actually need/want?

Just curious…

8. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

I'm pretty sure this is the one.

Description
    This is a Runway Card for a Power Mac G5 with model number A1177.

Apple Part Number:
    922-7152
    Manufacturer Part Number:
    820-1830-A

The problem is that this is a combined unit and is not compatible with other G5s except for the other late 2005 Dual core.

9. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

I have one, came BTO with my Quad. Im not parting with it since its a prototype, and I know that they are extremely rare, and cost around 100$ when found

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Red.

Take a look here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Airpo...t=US_Laptop_Network_Cards&hash=item4d0f522b88

My limited research indicates this is compatible with your Quad.

These are from the same vendor: http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_n...e 2005 Power Mac G5 Rare&_itemId=290797737520

The vendor acquired a lot of these and is selling them off.

11. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

[​IMG]

The card is easy to find, the sled it sits on isn't. The blue thing behind the card is the "runway card"

12. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

Yeah there's the issue though with the cost. I was able to get the one I tried from work with a pretty awesome discount so I was hoping to just make that work some way. I think I'll just keep looking on CL in my area and hoping someone has something that I can trade or something like that.

Sometimes I'm bothered about all of this because of my ridiculous financial situation. I actually had a Quad in Arizona that had the AP/BT module with 16GB RAM and a 23" ACD that I sold. The I thought I was done with the whole PPC thing and then I got more of them and got another Quad! Anyway, I better go now but I'll be back later!