Can anyone play these files without any problems on there Mac Pro ?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Data, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Data macrumors 6502

Hello all, i purchased a mac pro early 2008 with the 8800 video card and the raid card with 4 gig of ram.
    I use disk 1 in jbod and have the standard 500 gig apple hardrive there for my system and the 3 other disks are in raid 5 and i get about 160MB/s read spead from that array.

If i know go to this page :

http://www.usa.canon.com/app/html/See_The_Difference/

and get some full HD demo material from there , for instance the watchmaker demo, and i play that from my raid 5, i still don't get a perfect picture instead when the camera moves from left to right or in any direction , the picture starts to stutter , it does not stop playing it just is not smood.

The reason i spend all my money on this set up , is to be able to playback full hd material without any problems, and i cant seem to get it to work.

Is there anybody here who can help me fix this or explaine to me whats going on that i still dont get the fluid picture i expected ?

Thank you in advance.

Data.

2. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I've got a 2.8 octo without the 8800 graphics card, I watched the big high res one and it played OK. A few jutters here and there but not bad.

Is it only this video or are you having other problems where you notice it not being quite smooth enough? It should be top notch so I was almost hoping it's just from this source.

3. Data thread starter macrumors 6502

I have the same problem with some .mkv files that are full hd but those are torrent downloads so to make sure it was not those files i looked for a ref video and i would think that camera maker canon would provide that with these downloadable demo file's . And i wanna add that it should not play ok i think it should play flawless. It should be better then the picture i get on my sd cabel televison ;-).

The high res is of course way better but as soon as the picture starts to move , like a pan movement from the cam then i see it starting to stop running fluidly and it looks more like a 700mb sd dvd rip, wich have the same problem.

4. tabsaid macrumors member

I have a ton of 1080P .mkv encodes on my Mac Pro. 06' 2.6 quad, 4x2gb RAM, 7300GT, Hitachi 1TB media drive. Most of my content plays back perfectly but seems nature stuff or anything with a real high bitrate stutters or gives me crazy video artifacts everywhere. VLC reports an error about my system dropping frames and not being fast enough. Funny that my CPU's are never stressed in the least. Figured it was the 7300GT as I ask it to run a 23' ACD and a 47' HDTV. Hoping the 8800GT would fix this but your post does not give me high hopes. I might end up just dumping my media onto windows and using FFDshow and CoreAVC if apple can't get HD playback straight. Atleast make use of PureVideoHD already, its pretty standard tech these days.

5. G4DP macrumors 65816

All play fine, all formats - 2.8 x 8 - stock GPU

6. bart rijksen macrumors regular

lol, i'm playing this on a core 2 duo 2.8ghz 1gig ram, and my cpu is going totally crazy!!!

7. Data thread starter macrumors 6502

I come from a power mac G5 dual 2.7 , and i tghought this upgrade ram , video card and processor wise would fix these problems to, but no vlc still says my computer is to slow, lol, while the processors are not even at 15 % and the video card is strong enough to run two 30inch displays, i'm starting to think it's the way it is coded, maybe it's dome on a windows machine on avid or something.

People who say it runs flawless , whats differend in your system compared to mine that could make that difference? , I showed it to my neighbor earieler today and he sayd it looked great, he just does not see the problems in the video while looking at the same screen as i do, so what does that tell ya huh, lol.

Maybe it's like with audio systems some people notice the diffrence between mp3/aac and real audio cedees and most don't .

I don't know , all i know is that i'm not happy at all that i can't play full hd h264 or mkv files on my big maschine.

8. Data thread starter macrumors 6502

Did a clean install on my mac, same picture after that, then went to a freind who has a 24 inch imac played the videos there ,same problem,so i guess it most be the encoding . Until i can rip Hd/Bluray content myself it will be hard to find some nice full hd stuff to watch on my mac i guess,pitty.

9. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

hm, I tried them on my MacPro 2.66 w/ ATI under the following:

10.4.10: Perfect
    10.5.2: Perfect
    XP Pro SP2 (Bootcamp): Perfect

had no issues on my macpro;

my MBP 2.2Ghz w/ 8600GT did good, might have been the bandwidth that caused it to buffer alot but otherwise i never had a single issue viewing those videos.

10. tabsaid macrumors member

Found some more info on this subject. VLC uses FFmpeg /libavcodec decoders for h.264 content. The current decoder is not multi threaded. Makes sense as to why CPU always stays below 25% on a quad system but we get slow CPU errors. Hope the decoder gets updated soon, once it does we will be more then fine.

11. Data thread starter macrumors 6502

Any ideas why it does not play jutter free on my system running 10.5.2 then,i downloaded the files first and played them back in vlc and quicktime, but in both cases it just does not playback correctly.
    I haven't tried playing them in safari or any browser yet,maybe that makes any difference , i'll give that a try to and see what happens then.

Man i can't stand it that is does not playback 100% ok,grrr.