Can anyone point me to Mac Pro's D300 benchmarks?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by devinci99, Feb 25, 2014.

1. devinci99 macrumors regular

Has anyone who already owned the new Mac Pro with D300 tried to do any casual gaming on these? Or know if the D300 gaming performance is at least comparable to some mid-low end gaming GPU

I ordered a Mac Pro (for my home office) with as many options as I can afford but went cheap with the D300 GPU. I may still have a chance to change the order, but my original thought was that D300 would be good enough for mostly running VMs, development, and researching.

I do have a separate PC rig for gaming; but I admit I do like to fire up an occasional game or 2 on my current Mac Pro via Steam during some breaks (so I don't have to leave my office). I do of course have an AMD 7950 so gaming wasn't bad at all.

So, now I'm wondering if D300 could achieve the same results for casual gaming every now and then. I am not asking if the D300 is great gaming GPU. I'm asking if it is a horrible gaming GPU or not. I am hoping it would meet my minimal expectations from the gaming front... 30+ frames/sec at lower resolution and lower details... at least better than Intel integrated GPUs... or comparable to mid-low-end gaming GPUs.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

From what I've read, the D300 is comparable to the HD7850 in terms of raw specifications.

What you have to remember is that many of the games, if any, will not be optimised or even support dual GPUs. Also, the FirePro series do have different drivers, albeit similar hardware, to their consumer counterparts, which may play a detrimental effect in gaming.

Source: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/10310891531?page=1#6

3. devinci99 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks.

They already locked it in for shipping so I can't change my mind anymore. D300 it is.

Yup, I'm well aware that only 1 of the GPU is going to be used for games; even read OSX dedicate 1 GPU for most rendering, while the other for some computation.

So my question was just on performance of a single D300 and how well/bad it is for any type of casual gaming. But 7850... that isn't too bad (I had really low expectation).

4. TjeuV macrumors 6502

The lowest graphics card in a pro workstation isn't going to be rubbish ... Those two D700's are just through the roof, D300's are well capable for everything you throw at it, just might go a little slower ;)

5. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

X Plane 10

Just wondering how the base nMP will work with X Plane 10. How will it compare with the video card GTX 780?

6. Mac47 macrumors newbie

Mac47

I got a nMP with D300 and do some gaming on it. My wife and son run Ark:Survival Evolved in Bootcamp with medium settings and see mid-30s fps on Windows10 with crossfire off. (Ark does not support it.) Yes, this sounds unimpressive, but it's about twice the fps of the Alienware X51 that my son is running (they play online multiplayer). And yes, I know that Windows boxes are far cheaper and more game oriented, but I loathe Windows and gaming isn't the main purpose of our machine.

I run Grid2 on OS X and it's a sweet experience. Even with all the settings maxed out, I'm getting some absurdly high frame rate.

The beautiful thing about it is that even after hours and hours of gaming, the temperatures are still in the 60s Celsius. It just does not overheat.

I picked this machine because I'm moving to Indonesia and wanted a high end Mac for photography and casual gaming, and didn't want to pay Indonesian prices. Was tempted by the iMac 27" with m395x, but since it would have cost more than my Mac Pro and could not be transported safely, I went with the Trash Can. Pretty happy with it so far.

I'm also pretty happy with the choice of the D300. It seems to have fewer problems with 4K monitors than the other two cards.