Can anyone put The Social Network 720p Trailer on their iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by The-Basterd, Aug 31, 2010.

1. The-Basterd macrumors newbie

Can anyone put The Social Network 720p Trailer on the iPad?
    The longer trailer, not the teasers.
    It's 720p, I downloaded it from iTunes, and it won't play on the iPad. WTF? :confused:
    Shouldn't it be able to play it? It's an awesome trailer and I really wanted it on my iPad. I didn't want to succumb to lower quality than that especially on the iPad....
    Is anyone else able to put that downloaded 720p trailer on the iPad?
    Btw: All of the other 720p trailers I have are able to be put on my iPad.

Thanks in advance!

2. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

I was able to play it back by loading it into GoodReader instead of using iTunes to sync it. The trailer seemed to playback without any obvious flaws.

The reason that GoodReader can playback video back that iTunes won't sync is down to the complexities of AVC Profile Levels. A profile level is summary of the performance of a h.264 video decoder. Officially the iPad supports up to level 3.1, "The Social Network" trailer is marked as requiring level 3.2 and hence iTunes won't put it on an iPad. However when you copy a file into the GoodReader App all this is ignored and it turns out that the iPad's decoder is fast enough to playback at least some 3.2 level video.

3. MikeTheRocker96 macrumors member

MikeTheRocker96

How do you download HD movie trailers in iTunes?

4. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

It took me a while to find as I couldn't see a link on the iTunes Store. I ended up going to http://trailers.apple.com/ and selecting the "Trailers in iTunes" link near the top right of the page.