Can anyone recoment a Small, Good Mixer for home use?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by maf2k8, Mar 30, 2011.

1. maf2k8 macrumors 6502

I am looking to get a small/good mixer that i could use at home.

I own a iPad 2, iMac and Macbook Pro and use garage band a lot ( i play guitar )

I own 2 guitar modeling preamps ( GSP1101 and RP355 ) both units offer 1/4 outs and XLR outs for going to a mixer and recording direct. I currently use a Blue YETI USB mic and just mic my cab and record it into garage band but at times i would like to record direct ( like late at night )

I also plug my RP355 directly into my iPad with the camera connection kit and record at times via USB.

I am just getting tired of plugging and unplugging cable for everything ( i currently just have 1 pair of basic PC speakers )

I already purchased a pair of monitors now ( they are on there way ) so now i am just looking for a small mixer.

I am pretty much looking at the Mackie 402-VLZ3 100.00 or the Behringer XENYX 802 65.00, Also there is a Behringer Xenyx 1204USB for 164.00 that offers USB

Will the USB option come in handy for me? or no? Could i output the USB to say, the iPad camera connection kit? if the USB option really wouldnt benefit me then i might skip on a mixer with a USB port.

All i really need are 2 XLR/TRS ( i think there called ) preamps and then like 2 or 3 more inputs, So the units above seem to fit the bill. I plan on just running 1 of my preamps to the mixer.

I would also like to input my iMac and iPad to the inputs to use for monitoring and just basic music playing.

Any advice on which mixer would be a good choice? not looking to spend more then 200.00 and i am not really a "pro" when it comes to recording but i do want something that is good/decent.

Any help would be great, thanks.

2. ThereGoesJB macrumors regular

dont know how helpful I can be but here is my two cents-

im not sure how many sources you are trying to run into the computer at once or whatever but since you mentioned you are trying to use USB keep in mind that USB typically will only carry 2 seperate channels of audio (ex: 2 mics). If you are just switching back and forth between things seperately then this doesnt matter

Firewire or maybe a USB 3.0 device will carry more channels though.

otherwise i use a peavey PV6- it is not USB but its really a great mixer for under $100 and they make a USB version for around $120.