Can anyone recommend a cheap external drive for my iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iMacBoy, Aug 9, 2011.

1. iMacBoy macrumors 6502

Hi, i have plenty on storage left on my iMac but i wan't an external one to store movies etc..

Can anyone recommend a really cheap one with about 320+gb?

2. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

I have always used Western Digital MyBook and never had a problem. I picked up a 3tb one at Best Buy for $129 last week to replace my 1tb that I sold thinking I could upgrade my internal in my iMac :(

3. cuestakid macrumors 68000

I second the MyBook Series. I have two right now-a 2TB RAID MyBook Studio for storage and a 1TGB Mybook for Time Machine.

I do want to mention one thing-
    You do not have to buy the "Formatted For Mac" type external HDs-they are generally a tad more expensive (10-20 depending on where you buy) than the similar PC version and any HD can made Mac compatible via disk utility.

The biggest differences between the two are the software that is bundled with it and since it sounds like you will just be using it for storage (not as a backup-drive), I wouldn't worry about how its formatted beforehand since it can be changed quite easily.

4. iMacBoy thread starter macrumors 6502

Another thing is, i need to get some music files of my PS3 and put them onto the HD so i can listen/put them on my mac.

So can anyone verify this;

I go to PC world, but a HD that is about £35 (320gb) i will be able to plug it in ps3 via usb, copy all music/movies etc and then plug into mac and copy over and watch?

5. aonali21 macrumors member

In my mind Iomega Prestige 35303 500 GB potable Hard Drive is best for your requirement.....!