Can anyone recommend a good file renamer?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Paulywauly, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

I've been having with Batchrename'em since upgrading to Lion, it crashes ALOT. Can anyone recommend a good free file renamer? Preferably one that can find/replace text in file names? Thanks

2. astrorider macrumors 6502

I'm not using lion, but can't you turn on the script menu using applescript editor and then use the finder script "replace text in names"?

Here are the steps under snow leopard:
    - Open Applescript Editor from /Applications/Utilities
    - Under Preferences, turn on "Show script menu in menu bar" and "Show Computer scripts"
    - In the Finder, select the folder where the files to rename reside
    - In the menu bar, under the script menu, go to Finder Scripts:Replace text in names
    - Follow the prompts to rename your files

3. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

4. Paulywauly thread starter macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

After looking into each response i've ended up with Name Mangler, thanks for your help dudes!

Peace :cool:

5. Poncho macrumors 6502

Poncho

A Better Finder Renamer recommended here too. But buy from developer not App store. There's a reason but can't remember why

6. reubs macrumors 68000

Automator can do something like that, but I'm not sure meticulous you can get with it. I still kick myself for deleting Name Mangler while it was freeware and not having a copy of it hanging around.

Hope it works out for you!

7. Mac Eagle macrumors member

I've been using a nice free little tool named R-name for years. It's pretty flexible with lots of different options for how you want to rename a file or batch of files. Don't know how it compares to the others mentioned but the price is right. Not sure if it works in Lion.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/12259/r-name