Can anyone recommend a good iPhone HiFi System?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iWoz, Mar 26, 2010.

1. iWoz macrumors 6502a

iWoz

One that just uses the iPhone to dock, but has great sound and speakers ?

2. mac&cheesey macrumors 6502

more info please

Perhaps you could elaborate a bit about what you are looking for. For example, I'm not really familiar with any stationary home-use units. However, I am in a position to recommend a unit that is more portable but still sounds very good. That unit is the Harman Kardon GO + PLAY, see attached photo. The sound is great. The looks are great. I use mine at home but I first heard one of these in an airport. A bunch of kids were on their way to Vegas and had brought this to the airport with them. Our flight was delayed and this thing put out some great sound in the terminal while we waited at our gate.

The only problem is it doesn't charge the iPhone while it's docked. Not sure if you can update the firmware on it or not as it has never bothered me enough to figure out.

m&c

Attached Files:

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

VAF Octavio.

As good as the B&W Zeppelin, but half the cost. In fact, it's as good as 2 separate speakers, since the unit itself is really big.

It's still expensive though. :eek: I have one, but I only paid $400 Australian. I'm sure you could find it for a decent price if you're American.

[​IMG]

4. BRAVOSON macrumors newbie

I'd suggest you hook it up on a hifi system. The quality you get for the price is way better than buying an ipod system.

It's simple; I assume you've got an audio system, with a receiver (where you can select you audio source like cd etc.). You'll probably have an aux (auxiliary) input at the back of you receiver. If you just buy a cable, 3,5 mm to audio (red and white) you can connect you iphone. Simple. And if you wanna make it look better, you can also buy an iphone dock, which has a 3.5 mm connector at the back.

Hope this could be a solution

5. jim4spam macrumors member

I'm very happy with my B&W Zeppelin. It was pricey (for my budget), but seemed miles better sound quality than the plasticky or ugly models at the big box stores. And fingers crossed that it'll last well (time will tell).

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I've heard the Octavio and it's definitely not outdone by the Zeppelin. Unfortunately, it's discontinued; if I thought I had a use for a system like this I would definitely try to pick one up.

With that being said, outside of the Wall of Sound (which I haven't heard), there is not a system I can think of that could even get close to the level of "Hi-Fi" and I doubt the Wall of Sound does that.

7. macchiato2009 macrumors 65816

good speakers plugged to the jack of the apple dock will be a better alternative to a sound system

ie: JBL Spot or JBL Creature II...

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

While (significantly) more expensive, the aforementioned docks sound miles better then the former and I'd say better then the latter.

I used to advise this, but some just don't have space.

9. iWoz thread starter macrumors 6502a

iWoz

I was hoping for something with external speakers maybe, for like a party or something, not a portable hifi.. Something that looks good, you just dock it on the main hifi station.

Thanks for all the feedback so far

10. macidiot macrumors 6502a

Like others have said, the best sound will come from a real audio system. Onkyo, Denon, Pioneer, most of the major quality audio brands all have iPod connectivity available in their receivers.

If you are looking for a dedicated solution, I'd say B&W or Meridian. Both are pricey, and won't sound as good as a real audio system. But they come from high end audio companies, so they clearly aren't junk(say, like something from Bose).

11. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I wonder if this is any different then your other request at a similar price range?

There are tons of HTIB systems, but most charge a significant amount extra ($50 in the states seems to be the going rate) for the iPod cradle. Most systems have a audio in port that would allow you to just use your headphone jack, if not you can also just buy a RCA audio to 3.5mm cable that will have the same effect and save money. Outside of charging, the only feature I find nice with the dock is remote control - that being said if you have a case, this feature is maybe not the best.

12. macchiato2009 macrumors 65816

well, with external speakers, you'll be able to reuse them and the sound is usually better than integrated systems

13. iWoz thread starter macrumors 6502a

iWoz

Ok, I'll check out some HIFI's that just provide iPod/iPhone support, im contemplating doing this or....

Buying Apple TV and a descent surround setup for the tv