Can anyone recommend a good RAID 1 enclosure?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by StressedSnowCat, Nov 4, 2013.

1. StressedSnowCat macrumors member

I'd like one for professional use (Okay two enclosures actually!) with a "tray" system where you can pull the drives out and don't have to take apart the whole enclosure to access the drives. Two drives. I was gonna get a G-Safe but apparently they've been discontinued and aren't available in Europe anymore...

I don't have USB3 on my Mac Mini so I'd need Firewire 800 or Thunderbolt.

Thanks! :)

2. StressedSnowCat thread starter macrumors member

3. troop231 macrumors 603

4. StressedSnowCat thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately this one has 4 drives and is more complex. In my experience RAID 1 enclosures are less likely to fail over time than enclosures that also support RAID 5. "Simplicity is the highest form of Sophistication" they say!

5. thedeske macrumors 6502a

Unless you have a specific reason for raid 1, why not 2 or more single drives?

That Said, Caldigit

6. StressedSnowCat, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013

StressedSnowCat thread starter macrumors member

Uniformity concerns. If I have three RAID 1 enclosures in the event of failure I have one drive to replace. If that drive isn't made anymore I buy two new drives, throw the old ones away and copy the files from another RAID 1 enclosure onto the new drives. This way whatever happens, even if a HD company goes out of business I only ever have to buy two drives at once. If I had a complex RAID 5 installation with say 16 drives and suddenly the brand stops making these drives I'd be in trouble for sure!

Thanks for the Caldigit suggestion, I had never heard of them. Are they as reliable as G-Tech?

7. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

A friend of mine has good experience with a Synology DS-series enclosure. He uses the 5-series (i.e. 5 bays) but they have 2-bay variants as well. He connects to it via Ethernet.

8. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

I like LaCie 2Big. You can set it up for RAID 0, 1, or JBOD. You can get it with different size disks.