Can anyone recommend a GOOD scanner?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AppleWatchGuy, Jun 7, 2015.

1. AppleWatchGuy macrumors member

I'm looking for a scanner that does this, I'm willing to pay any price:

• Scan front and back in one go
    • Wirelessly send the scanner documents to the cloud/computer
    • Have intelligent software to recognize what I scanned and offer some basic organization tools (put receipts in receipts folder etc)
    • Can scan different paper size, from legal to small receipts to business cards
    • small enough that I can take it to my office once in a while, but stays at home otherwise

Does such a thing exists? Thanks!

2. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Yes it exists. Check out the Fujitsu ScanSnap Ix500. I have the older, USB only S1500M and it has been wonderful. I have a case for it for travel which holds the power supply and USB cable and protects it. It is the most recommended scanner on MacRumors.

It allows you to create profiles for different tasks. I have the default set for double sided documents. I also have single sided, continuous (for very large documents), and photos.

3. AppleWatchGuy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. Can you explain the profiles a little bit? Do I choose from the software on my mac which profile after the scan? So does it mean it's manual selection, no automatic filing right?

4. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

The profiles are a way to save various settings like simplex vs duplex, DPI, file destination, and file type so you don't have to set them when you change a particular scan. When getting ready to scan it's just a matter of clicking on the ScanSnap dock icon and selecting the desired profile from a list. I have a few different destinations based on the type of scan. There is no automatic filing but you can use an app like Hazel to help with the filing.

I use a workflow based on David Sparks' book _Paperless_. All my documents go into a folder called Action. When done I manually move the scans to the appropriate place. I also have an email folder called Action which I use for e-mail receipts. When filing I save them as PDFs into the proper location.

5. AppleWatchGuy thread starter macrumors member

So there are hardware buttons on the device that basically act as "macros"? So if I know I'm scanning a receipt I can just select the profile and it'll do all the right thing (such as sending it to the right directory etc)

6. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

7. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Not on the scanner but on the app on the Mac. Before buying a scanner you might want to read the book I mentioned earlier and think about how you want your workflow to go. Then you can select a scanner and other software that works well with that workflow.