Can Anyone Recommend a Good Textbook Website?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Surely, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Surely Guest

Surely

I'm looking for a good legit website to buy university textbooks from (Accounting texts, to be specific). After a quick Google search, I found the $190 textbook I'm looking for for $140. But, I don't know the site's reputation. So, I figured there must be a ton of students here- where do you guys get your textbooks from?

Anyone have any website recommendations for me? :cool:

2. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I've been able to get a lot of textbooks for great prices on Amazon.

3. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

I always compare prices between Amazon and my University book store. Amazon is just about always cheaper than the school's store but not always. One of my English text books this year was $130 on Amazon and $98 at the book store. It is rare but it does happen

But I wholeheartedly support Amazon, never had any problems with shipping. The books always come in good condition.

4. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

5. Surely thread starter Guest

Surely

Anyone have any experience with textbooks.com? Their price is a little cheaper than Amazon (for the book I want) and has free ground shipping (like Amazon).

6. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I usually look for used from Amazon at a huge discount. If not, Amazon has ALWAYS been cheaper than my bookstore here at WVU. I ordered off of Alibris one time and it went well, but I had to unsubscribe from all of their coupon emails. I was getting like 3 a week, it was bad. With that said...Amazon, if you buy new you can get a free trial of prime, where you'll get your books within two days. Just make sure to uncheck the auto renew box after you sign up.

7. huntnboy04 macrumors regular

I've used half.com before, and had great luck. It's ebay for textbooks, and it's powered by them.

8. wb22 macrumors newbie

9. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

I thought this was nuts when I first heard about it, but after using it, it works well. Only use it for classes whose books you do not want to keep, obviously.

http://www.chegg.com/

10. BrettFarve04 macrumors regular

11. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

I use half.com with success. You just have to be careful to make sure you're not purchasing an international edition.

Man, don't even get me started on Accounting texts. My Intermediate Accounting book is two volumes, it cost so much that I've blocked the memory of purchasing it.

12. timerollson macrumors 65816

I use:
    http://www.bigwords.com for price comparison. It's the best.

Most of the time, they link directly to:
    http://www.abebooks.com

I never buy through Amazon. I don't save anything when I do which defeats the purpose of buying online and waiting for its arrival.

13. Surely thread starter Guest

Surely

I'm glad that you resurrected this thread, wb22. The time is coming for me to buy my next set of accounting texts.

Thanks for all the great suggestions.... I'll make sure to check out all of them....