Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gdude30

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
GA
Hello everyone I have been reading some posts here and decided to join today. I was one of the ones who was waiting for the new MBP's and waiting and checking each day. Although not everyone is pleased with the new MBP I have had my first and current Mac Book Pro (Original Late 2008) model since 2008 and although I like it I really do like it, the aluminum unibody on the new ones, the extended battery life, ram, and storage space have won me over. I only have 2GB Ram and 120 GB on my current one :(

I've already decided that I'll get the new 2010 13' MBP basic model no customization. I understand that it's pretty much a MBP Lite and it serves the purposes that I need.

With my current macbook it's pretty sturdy. Although maybe not too sturdy I dropped it on it's side once and the dvd drive caved in. Apple sort of fixed it for free but it's still screwey. My sister's friend has a case for her macbook pro. I carry mine in my bookbag. I am not really fond of handbags. The sleeves sort of sound like a good idea for dust and etc but I suppose I'd need the right sleeve.

What I'm more concerned about is protection for the macbook and the heat thing if it's still a problem. This old MBP is like a furnace. I know they had cases for it that reduce the heat. If the heating on the bottom is no longer a problem than protection. I care about that more than style. Which is why I have an otterbox for my iPhone.

I looked at the buyer's site and saw a few cases that look somewhat nice and I'm going to the apple store tonight to pick up my MBP and either look at the cases there or buy one there. I know I can probably get it cheaper online. I was just looking for a little input from other to see what case works best for them and if the MBP (Unibody Models) even need a case. Thank you and I look forward to getting my second macbook pro :)

ChristWolves

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2010
Southampton, UK
Hello everyone I have been reading some posts here and decided to join today. I was one of the ones who was waiting for the new MBP's and waiting and checking each day. Although not everyone is pleased with the new MBP I have had my first and current Mac Book Pro (Original Late 2008) model since 2008 and although I like it I really do like it, the aluminum unibody on the new ones, the extended battery life, ram, and storage space have won me over. I only have 2GB Ram and 120 GB on my current one :(

I've already decided that I'll get the new 2010 13' MBP basic model no customization. I understand that it's pretty much a MBP Lite and it serves the purposes that I need.

With my current macbook it's pretty sturdy. Although maybe not too sturdy I dropped it on it's side once and the dvd drive caved in. Apple sort of fixed it for free but it's still screwey. My sister's friend has a case for her macbook pro. I carry mine in my bookbag. I am not really fond of handbags. The sleeves sort of sound like a good idea for dust and etc but I suppose I'd need the right sleeve.

What I'm more concerned about is protection for the macbook and the heat thing if it's still a problem. This old MBP is like a furnace. I know they had cases for it that reduce the heat. If the heating on the bottom is no longer a problem than protection. I care about that more than style. Which is why I have an otterbox for my iPhone.

I looked at the buyer's site and saw a few cases that look somewhat nice and I'm going to the apple store tonight to pick up my MBP and either look at the cases there or buy one there. I know I can probably get it cheaper online. I was just looking for a little input from other to see what case works best for them and if the MBP (Unibody Models) even need a case. Thank you and I look forward to getting my second macbook pro :)

I used to own Speck's hard case on my Early-2008 non-unibody MBP - which makes your MBP thicker but provide great protection against any scratches, but please DO NOT DROP IT! :cool:

Besides that, do consider Invisible Shield also, which is quite nice IMHO...

xpected_one

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2008
Texas
Besides that, do consider Invisible Shield also, which is quite nice IMHO...

I picked up a invisible shield when zagg had a 50% off sale and must admit at this point I totally would have paid full price for it. It installs so much easier on a notebook than on an iPhone and works quite well. It doesnt add any bulk which I know isnt one of your requirements but is a very nice feature on such a beautiful notebook.

gdude30

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
GA
Thanks guys. I'll check those out. I guess there isn't a case that is drop proof :D

Well I hear that the pros are more durable than the mac pros at least. I do like that the unibody models don't slide. Mine does. Maybe I don't really need a hard case. If anything I'll look into a slip case at least and ask the apple clerk as well. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.