Can anyone recommend a top drawer EMAIL app?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by hakr100, Nov 16, 2013.

1. hakr100 macrumors 6502a

I'm looking for a simple, mildly customizable EMAIL app that:

* Lets me have the folders I want, such as INBOX, SENT, DRAFTS, STORAGE (archive), READ MESSAGES and TRASH, and doesn't show folders I don't want (the GMAIL app shows all sorts of folder names for which I have no use). I don't want folders for IMPORTANT, STARRED, SPAM, DRAFTS, ALL MAIL, and so on, ad nauseum.

* in the INBOX, allows me to SELECT ALL and then DELETE ALL. Neither the native IOS 7 app nor the GMAIL does this. I don't want to SWIPE to get rid of 34 new emails I don't want to read for one reason or another. I want to SELECT ALL and send them all to TRASH. And naturally, I want to be able to empty the TRASH folder the same way: SELECT ALL, and then...dump them all. I like the GMAIL facility to individually select email you want to trash, but that facility needs expansion.

I use GMAIL as my email account.

Suggestions?

Thanks! :D

2. hafr macrumors 68030

Have you tried Mailbox?

3. hakr100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've looked at the descriptions of it on its web page and in the APP store, but I can't tell from reading what is there whether it does what I want. :confused: Oh, and I'm not a big fan of swipe, and Mailbox seems to like swipe a lot.

What I want is an app that does the simple stuff well and doesn't add a bunch of features that matter not to me, but are still there whether I want them or not.

4. hafr macrumors 68030

It's free. Just try it, delete it if it doesn't fit your needs...

5. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

* Lets me have the folders I want, such as INBOX, SENT, DRAFTS, STORAGE (archive), READ MESSAGES and TRASH, and doesn't show folders I don't want (the GMAIL app shows all sorts of folder names for which I have no use). I don't want folders for IMPORTANT, STARRED, SPAM, DRAFTS, ALL MAIL, and so on, ad nauseum.

This one I don't quite follow. You can click edit on the native mail app summary screen (Where all inboxes is displayed) and then just add any folder you want to that view and remove folders you don't want to see. Is that what you're talking about?

6. hakr100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can't remove some of these folders: Important, Starred, All Mail, Notes, Sent Messages. Can you tell me where exactly they can be removed and how?

Thanks. :confused:

Attached Files:

7. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

yeah pal. you can edit the folders the native app shows you.

also click EDIT once you're in your INBOX and you can tap the circles next to messages and then DELTE ALL AT ONCE. not as fast as what you're talking about but faster than swiping 34 photos.

native app does almost EVERYTHING you're ASKING for

--

also why all the caps? it's like you're yelling at everyone on this forum.

8. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

That's why I wasn't sure what he was asking. I was like "wait a minute, the native app already supports bringing any folder up to the top level..what is he asking exactly?"

9. liteshow macrumors regular

I use the Gmail App and the folders I want to appear stay on the very top unless I scroll down to "more". You do this by logging into Gmail Full site (via a browser). Click Settings -> Labels. Uncheck "Show in Imap" for the folders you do not want to see in the gmail app. This will work for the gmail app or other apps that use imap.

Your desire to be able to select ALL and delete ALL emails all at once makes me believe you are getting useless/SPAM-like emails in your inbox. If I am correct, then the real issue really is why are those emails end up in your inbox in the first place? May I suggest you use filters to weed out the ones you do not really need but keep the important ones in inbox. I have about 20 -30 filters in place, and all I really get in my inbox are important ones that I mostly have no intention of deleting. Filters can be configured and setup in settings -> Filters.

10. figaro331 macrumors member

figaro331

Altamail app

Try to use Altamail if don't like Mailbox - it's the most comprehensive features filled app from http://mobile.eurosmartz.com/customapps/. I'm using it for more than a year and like it a lot !
    Hope it will help you.
    Best regards.
    :):):):):)

11. hakr100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay. I'm in my inbox and I've tapped the circles next to the messages. How do I DELETE ALL AT ONCE? The choices at the bottom of the screen are Mark, Move, Archive. There's no Delete or Delete All.

12. tateu macrumors 6502

It says Archive in the bottom right because that is what you have the setting "Move Discarded Messages Into" set as. If you want it to say Delete instead of Archive, go to Settgins -> Mail -> Account Name -> Account -> Advanced and change "Move Discarded Messages Into" to "Deleted Mailbox."