Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
My girlfriend and I are getting married in January and we'll be moving into our own place together. We both use iMacs; I have a 2010 27" iMac and she has a 2012 21.5" iMac. In attempt to downsize we're going to both pick up flavors of Macbooks and use those for our computery needs.

However, I'd like to potentially have a small station ready for use with a display, keyboard and mouse for either of us to use if we need a bigger screen. Can anyone recommend a USB-C based dock for the Macbook series that will allow me to set all of that up and have it accessible via single cable?

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
You should probably go for Thunderbolt 3 rather than just USB-C. I don't think any good ones exist yet in a Thunderbolt 3 variant.

Duane Martin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
You should probably go for Thunderbolt 3 rather than just USB-C. I don't think any good ones exist yet in a Thunderbolt 3 variant.
Well, except the MacBook doesn't support Thunderbolt 3 so that really shouldn't be a consideration.

NOTE: This response is only directed to the MacBook, not the newly announced MacBook Pros which have other considerations.

For the safety of your MacBook I would go with one of the larger manufactures. I like the CalDigit USB-C dock but think the OWC USB-C dock will likely be good as well once it ships. Take a look at the connections each dock supports to help you decide.

PC Mag actually published an article for the new MacBook Pro but it is already out-of-date and contains some factual errors. Still, gives a bigger sense of what is out there.

BTW, docks are the greatest thing for making any laptop truly portable again.

Duane Martin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
- Which is true, but this thread is about the 2016 MacBook Pros.
Well would you look at that. I read his original question and not the title of the thread. Mea culpa.

That said, it is starting to look like some/all(?) USB-C docks will support Thunderbolt 3 pass-through (i.e. Arc dock and Caldigit USB-C dock both imply that) so I am not certain there is a clearly defined difference.

Lots of new info coming out over the next couple weeks, I am sure.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
That said, it is starting to look like some/all(?) USB-C docks will support Thunderbolt 3 pass-through (i.e. Arc dock and Caldigit USB-C dock both imply that) so I am not certain there is a clearly defined difference.
- There is a large difference in support for external displays, where a plain USB-C dock can't do above 4K 30 Hz without sacrificing other areas, while a Thunderbolt 3 dock can to 2 x 4K 60 Hz or 1 x 5K 60 Hz.

For simple uses such as a USB hub, Ethernet, and low-resolution displays, though, there won't be much difference in practice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.