Can anyone recommend a wireless storage solution for iTunes?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dh2005, Aug 25, 2012.

1. dh2005, Aug 25, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2012

dh2005 macrumors 6502a

Hello,

The title says it all, really: I currently have my iTunes library (circa 250GB) stored on an external USB hard drive - my MBP's internal storage is a small SSD - and I want to switch to a wireless solution.

I had assumed that the Time Capsule would be a good choice, but an Apple Genius (no less) told me that the TC was not ideal for the purpose, and that I should look to other manufacturers. I don't wanna go balls-out and buy a wireless NAS - that would be overkill - so I'm thinking about wireless hard drives. Is anyone using a wireless drive for this purpose that they'd recommend?

Thanks,

DH.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I don't why the Genius would say that. A Time Capsule would be just fine for your purposes. Here is a guide to set it up.

3. dh2005 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the link. I'll look at it now.

He said to me that it could be used for that purpose, but that it was a pain to set-up, and that it caused all sorts of problems if you had photographs stored on your internal drive. I took him at his word - assuming, quite reasonably, that he would know what he was talking about - and didn't ask any further questions.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There are tons of wired and wireless external storage products, but no matter which one you choose it would be setup with iTunes exactly like in the link I provided. I'm not sure what the Genius was thinking. :confused:

5. dh2005 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Pffff. No idea, mate.

Still, glad I asked! Does anyone else have anything to add?

6. Seany92 macrumors newbie

A Nas would be a cheaper option then a TC for sharing your music plus you have the option of added functionality. I know your not mad on the idea but I would really think about it

7. dh2005 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hm. Okay, then. If I were to consider a NAS, which would you recommend?

8. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Synology NAS' only. Simply the best.

9. MrManwelo, Aug 25, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2012

MrManwelo macrumors member

I had a similar idea earlier this month. Needed a NAS solution. In the end I bought a 2nd Generation Airport Extreme off eBay for £40, a 1TB External Hard Drive for £64 and a USB powered hub for £14.

I connected the airport to the hub and then plugged the Hard drive in, plugged a second 500GB hard drive that I already had in as well. Use the smaller drive for time capsule back ups and the bigger one for media and iTunes. Works well for my needs for a relatively small investment, just £118 all in.

10. sevimli macrumors 6502a

agreed!

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That would work for serving up the iTunes library, but Airport Extreme with an external drive is not supported for Time Machine. I am not clear form OP's original post if that was a requirement or not.

12. dh2005 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I suppose, if it were possible, I might as well aim to do both.

Looking on Amazon, I see lots of different hits for "Synology NAS". I'm finding it difficult to ascertain what I want! At the moment my ambitions are pretty small - 1 bay, and a 1TB drive would be more than enough - but perhaps I should look into the future a little. I intend to buy another Mac before the end of the year - could a single NAS be used to make Time Machine backups for both computers?

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes, you can run Time Machine and serve up media files on either a Time Capsule or a Time Machine compatible NAS. You can also backup with Time Machine and multiple computers to either device.

While some of the NAS devices do have nice features, I am always hesitant to recommend them for less advanced users. Primarily because each time a new OS version comes out we see compatibility issues crop up with NAS devices. It does always get fixed by the NAS vendor, but there is that window where you have no backup. We just saw this with Mountain Lion and user posts about NAS devices not working properly until a NAS patch was released.

To be fair, I have no idea if this is Apple's fault or the NAS vendors fault, but it is an issue nonetheless.

From comparing products at the Synology web site it looks like you would want the DS112 or DS112j. They have a chart where you can compare features.

14. dh2005 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for all the advice. I appreciate it.

Let me know whether this is an ignorant suggestion - I really don't know much about this subject - but could I connect a wired NAS to my wireless broadband router, then use that for the same purpose? Or do wireless routers not work like that?

15. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That would work fine also. Actually is you connect a NAS or external USB drive to your wireless router and looked at them from your Macbook using both wired ethernet or wit-fi, from the Macbook perspective you could not tell the difference as far as how it appeared or operated (other than network access speed of course).

16. dh2005 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hm. That sounds appealing. For one thing, it would mean that the drive would be in the living room, rather than on my increasingly crowded desk.

Alas, the router doesn't have a USB port, so I can't use the drive that I've been using already.

17. greenchiliman macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reco, been looking into it myself and this is good to know who to use!

18. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

No worries, they make killer products and their OS is simply amazing and far better than any competitors.

http://www.synology.com/dsm/dsm_for_home.php?lang=us

19. stevelam macrumors 65816

Does it have to use iTunes? All of my music is stored in the cloud now with google music. It's free and I can access it on all my machines/mobile devices/at work etc.

20. xp0z3d macrumors regular

Wise people , lemme ask this , I am also thinking of getting a Synology Nas like 212j and connect it to my Cisco E1200 wifi router. Is that router good enough for this purpose or I need a better one?

I also have most of my music uploaded to Google Music so have only less than half actually sitting on my hard drive. That also because I have a limited data plan for iPhone so I don`t usually stream music when driving and listen to music synced with iTunes.

21. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Yes its fine. If you want gigabit over LAN then you need to make sure the NAS and Router are both Gigabit, other than that, yes it is fine.

22. xp0z3d macrumors regular

I think that NAS from Synology is 10/100/1000 meaning its Gigabit , right?

And having NAS and Router Gigabit would be advantageous in what sense? I know they would support better speeds but Macbook and other peripherals would still be at same speeds , no?

23. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

It would be beneficial when transferring files over the LAN when connected via ethernet. You cannot do gigabit over wireless without an AC Gigabit WiFi Router and an AC Gigabit Wireless Adapter, currently I havent seen any AC adapters, just a few AC Routers such as the Netgear R6300, which is what I have.

24. xp0z3d macrumors regular

so far backup from mac , streaming media from nas etc would be okay with a E1200 router with 10/100

25. HeadphoneAddict macrumors member

HeadphoneAddict

I bought a LaCie LaPlug from Amazon for $79, and plugged an external hard drive into it with all my music. It's now serving all the music I put on it as a shared iTunes library. Seems to work just fine. I'm also doing a time machine backup to it, which is saved as a sparse bundle file (aka dmg).

Although I have it plugged into the ethernet port of my Airport Extreme, it includes 802.11g wifi so that you can access it wirelessly. I haven't needed that feature yet.

I also haven't tried it with videos yet, which our iMac running iTunes and home sharing offers.