Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ride9650

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
I'm in college studying media arts and I was hoping to try and find an internship for next quarter. Instead of being cheap and using my department provided server space to host my portfolio which has a ridiculously long url, I thought it might be in my best interest to try and get some web hosting.

Can anyone recommend a company? Theres just too many to choose from!

In terms of what kinda services I'm looking for,
- A reasonable amount of space would be nice, probably don't need anything over a gig.

- high bandwidth is not a necessity, not expecting many visitors aside from the design firms I apply to.

- MySql support would be nice, don't need it for my portfolio just yet, but it may come in handy later.

-Price: the cheaper the better! :D

Thanks!

whatsgooddan

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2009
NY, USA
Oh boy

This topic has been asked a lot here. Many people will tell you http://asmallorange.com and I would too because it sounds like you want their "Tiny" plan. For $35/year you get the type of hosting you are looking for and a domain name. Search google for coupon codes, as there are several for ASO that gives you $5 off. Can you keep your profile under 75MB?

If not, perhaps you can outsource your media files to Youtube, Flickr or similar. There are many web hosts that can give you more space and bandwidth and are good for small sites. Maybe you'd like http://hostgator.com and their $5/month plan.

Of course, I think both of these services are Cpanel based.

Macman1993

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2007
I use globat.com for my web hosting, they have a really good plan unlimited storage/bandwidth+ 1 year free domain, it normally costs something like $4.44 a month but if you begin the sign up process and then try to leave you get offered an additional 12% off leaving it at something like $3.77 a month and you still get the free domain. They offer a bunch of services along with it so you really should try it.

Ride9650

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Thanks to everyone thats replied so far, its been extremely helpful!

I should mention that after looking over usage stats on my current host, anything under a gig of storage space may not work afterall

whatsgooddan

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2009
NY, USA
Has anybody ever used Webfaction? I am looking for a host that can handle Django or Ruby on Rails (maybe).

I see Hostnexus also has a RoR plan. Anyone else recommend them?

vivithemage

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
I have some pretty good rates for the smaller web sites...They are not listed, but something like 1gig of space, 7gigs of bandwidth per month for 2-3$ a month/20$ a year.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I've been using SiteGround for a long time now, though they're a little more (and more capable) than many of the other hosts listed here. About $95 a year ($7.95 a month) but they give you virtually unlimited space and bandwidth, and they've been very reliable and fast for me for the last 5-6 years I believe that I've been using their hosting. Absolutely recommend them.

Referral Link
Non-referral link (if you don't want to get me three months of free hosting).

I like to be up-front and honest about the links, btw, instead of just tossing a referral link at you without mentioning that.
EDIT: That sounds condescending, and I apologize. No one else has done referral links here and not said it, I just wanted to explain why I put two links and not just the one.

jW

EliVZ

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2008
Has anybody ever used Webfaction? I am looking for a host that can handle Django or Ruby on Rails (maybe).

I see Hostnexus also has a RoR plan. Anyone else recommend them?

I use Webfaction and recommend them to my clients. Their control panel isn't the prettiest, but it's extremely functional and makes it simple to set up a Rails app, WordPress installation, etc. and hook it up to a url in your site. So if you want your rails app at domain.com and a WP blog at domain.com/blog the control panel will take care of everything for you (including creating and configuring databases).

My sites have only been down two or three times in the couple years I have been on Webfaction. And when they have gone down--or when I screwed something up myself--support has always been responsive and helpful.

If you do decide to go with Webfaction, please consider using my referrer code: http://www.webfaction.com/?affiliate=elivz

brisbaneguy29

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
Brisbane
No No No Not Globat

All the above, except Globat. They are the whole reason we started our own web hosting company. Stay away from Globat. Servers constantly getting hacked, absolutely terrible support. Most monkeys know more than the people on their live chat.

And they have some very, very suspect billing practices. Billing you months early, billing you for cancelled accounts, automatically opting you in for upgrades you didn't ask for, and the list goes on.

Just DO NOT USE GLOBAT!

TheRedOx

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2009
Chicago, IL
Alright, I have to ask: Why does noone say GoDaddy in these types of threads? I use them, everything is easy to setup, their customer service is great and I pay a little over $3/mo. for shared Linux hosting. I'm half-expecting to get flamed for suggesting them and I don't know why..:confused:

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
Hostgator.com is the best company I have dealt with. Info: http://www.hostgator.com/shared.shtml

Basically for $8 a month you get unlimited everything. I have used multiple TB of bandwidth transfer on some months, and average over 500GB of bandwidth each month, issue free. Nearlyfreespeach charges $0.27 per GB @ 500GB, meaning the bandwidth alone would run me $135. 1TB of transfer in a month would be over $250. Ouch.

Hostgator is fast too, I can push over 6MB/sec downloading from their servers (located in Texas, and I am in Minnesota). Great service too.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
I've been using Doteasy.com for years now. Started off with their free account - no ads, the only way you would know that you were on a free account is if you use their webmail to send email. It will tack on a "hosted by Doteasy.com" or something. If you use POP and SMTP to retrieve and send email you don't even get that.

The control panel is easy to use, they have loads of free scripts and add-ons, including a website creator. Their webmail interface is very easy to use. I have found their support to be timely and helpful, even on the free account. And reliable. I'm sure they must have occasionally gone done, but I can't recall when. When they do maintenance, for example, webmail access is restricted, you get at least a week's notice.

I finally upgraded to a paid account for my main domain.... but that was mostly out of gratitude for years of free service. I think their business model is to be generous with their free accounts, and then when you need something more you upgrade and stay with them.

I have not affiliation Doteasy.com, other than being a very happy customer.

matperk

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Alright, I have to ask: Why does noone say GoDaddy in these types of threads? I use them, everything is easy to setup, their customer service is great and I pay a little over $3/mo. for shared Linux hosting. I'm half-expecting to get flamed for suggesting them and I don't know why..:confused:

I dislike godaddy because every time you want to go to a different function (from domain management to hosting) you have to launch a different account panel, sometimes with a different username and password even! I also know what I'm looking for, and still speed about 30% of my time on there finding where the function is that I'm looking for.

Their hosting is fine, the control panel interface is absolutely terrible.

Ride9650

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Gosh, I wasn't expecting so many responses! Thanks everyone!
NearlyFreeSpeach looks like the best deal, though, itd be nice not to have to deal with two separate companies as I would need to get a domain name too and they don't seem to offer that service(correct me if I'm wrong)....hmmmm...

Decisions decisions!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.