Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lloyd709

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
On the very large thread about the 8800 GT not working in the Mac Pro someone posted a confirming that the ATI Radeon worked in the Old Mac Pro but also said that it didn't perform very well. Someone else then posted some stuff about it might not have been set up properly. I can't find the actual posts (there are 700 to go through!)

I was wondering if anyone else had any luck with it.

lloyd709

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008

Thanks for that. I've just ordered one. I was hoping you might be able to help me a little more though.

For a non-techie can you explain what I would need to do to get it running under Tiger. Do you know if it would work at it's full speed.

Do you think that if I installed Leopard (I'm currently on Tiger) it would run straight away (at full speed).

Thanks

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
It'd work in Tiger if you can clone or image off of an Aluminium iMac. There's a chance you can download the driver packages and extract them to their proper location(s).

lloyd709

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
I do appreciate you helping me so I feel bad pushing you but what to you mean by clone an image? Would it be easier for me to buy Leopard.

What I'd also really like to know is will the card work at it's full speed - I'm sure I read somewhere that the card works but it's not an improvement over the 7300!

Thanks again

lloyd709

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
You'd be better off buying Leopard and the HD 2600 XT is a good improvement over the 7300 GT.

aaaaah - you keep answering only half my questions - lol !!

So do you know if I can assume it will just work - at full speed - without any problems if I buy Leopard? I won't know until I buy Leopard and I'd rather avoid it if it's not going to make any difference!

lloyd709

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
I've just re-read my post and I want you to know I did mean that in jest!

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
aaaaah - you keep answering only half my questions - lol !!

So do you know if I can assume it will just work - at full speed - without any problems if I buy Leopard? I won't know until I buy Leopard and I'd rather avoid it if it's not going to make any difference!
It'll work the same in Tiger or Leopard.

If you want to try cloning from an Aluminium iMac then Super Duper! would let you do so quite easily. You'd boot the Mac Pro up in Target Disk Mode and clone from the iMac.

The Mac Pro (2006) never came with the drivers for the HD 2600 and the iMac running Tiger did. Leopard includes the drivers for both the Alu iMac and Mac Pro.

lloyd709

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
Thanks - I've got SuperDuper, now all I need is a iMac 'Alu' or to go out and buy Leopard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.